Seven civic groups yesterday accused Taipei police of being “out of control” and resorting to “violent means” to evict antinuclear protesters who occupied Zhongxiao W Road on Sunday to stage an overnight sit-in.
The groups, including the National Nuclear Abolition Action Platform, the Taiwan Association for Human Rights and the Taipei Society, leveled the accusations at a morning press conference held in front of the Presidential Office Building.
The protesters occupied the often congested section of Zhongxiao W Road in front of Taipei Railway Station on Sunday afternoon in a bid to force the government to respond positively to their demands that the construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei City’s Gongliao District (貢寮) be immediately halted and the voting threshold for national referendums lowered.
Acting on Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin’s (郝龍斌) orders, riot police fired water cannons at the crowd of activists to disperse them at 2:47am on Monday, before starting to forcibly push and drag protesters away.
Normal traffic flow on the road was restored about 6:50am.
One of the protesters evicted that night, a man surnamed Shen (沈), said that he had been standing in the front line of the crowd when police officers pushed him to the ground and ripped his gauze face mask off.
“Several officers dragged me by my ankles into a corner and then one of them said: ‘This one hit a police officer,’ and they all started beating me with their batons and shields,” Shen said, adding he heard officers shouting: “Let’s beat the hell out of him.”
He was handcuffed and denied his right to counsel even though he had put his hands up and told the officers he would not resist, Shen said.
“After I was detained for six hours, the police told me they had no idea who had arrested me and that they were unable to find any video footage confirming my account of the attack,” Shen said.
Lin Hsiu-yi (林秀怡), secretary-general of the Awakening Foundation, said she was astonished to see some officers trying to use a water cannon to remove a female protester’s pants.
“They even fired water at the rest of the crowd to prevent other protesters from seeing what they were doing to this woman,” Lin said.
Taipei Society head Liu Ching-yi (劉靜怡) questioned the police’s move to dispatch SWAT team officers to remove press photographers and reporters from a pedestrian overpass.
“What law did the reporters break by standing on the footbridge? The only logical explanation is that the police were trying to impede them from documenting the event,” Liu said.
Chang Shu-hui (張淑惠), head of the Association of Parent Participating Education in Taiwan, which mobilized 10 couples and their 12 children to participate in the occupation, accused the police of putting the children’s lives in danger.
“The police marched threateningly toward us and our children even after forcing us to retreat to the sidewalk... We demand that Mayor Hau apologize and take responsibility for the officers’ reprehensible behavior,” Chang said.
Taiwan Association for Human Rights deputy director Tseng Wei-kai (曾威凱) said the eviction was “an act of sheer abuse,” adding that the protesters were vastly outnumbered by police and hit by water cannons at close range.
“The police handled the situation flippantly and treated it as a chance to exact vengeance. They were out of control,” Tseng said. “The nation has lost its sanity.”
National Nuclear Abolition Action Platform spokesperson Tsuei Su-hsin (崔愫欣) said the group has received photographs and video footage from 78 people allegedly showing protesters being mistreated by police officers.
“We have also been approached by 23 protesters allegedly beaten by police, four photographers who say they were prevented from recording the rally and five women alleging either verbal or physical harassment from police officers,” Tsuei said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as