The issue of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant is about more than a controversy over nuclear power, Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) said yesterday, stressing that it should be considered within the bigger picture of the nation’s heavy dependence on imported energy.
Jiang said yesterday at the legislature’s floor meeting that focusing only on the construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei City’s Gongliao District (貢寮) is “[inappropriately] narrowing the problem,” since more than 90 percent of Taiwan’s energy has to be imported.
In this context, a post-safety-check Fourth Nuclear Power Plant, along with the three operational nuclear power plants, will play a crucial role in supplying the nation with the energy it needs, he added.
Photo: Chien Jung-fong, Taipei Times
“Many people have concerns or fears about nuclear power. A nuclear-free [nation] might be our long-term, eventual goal, but as we already have three nuclear power plants in operation, it will not be possible to achieve that goal in a single leap,” Jiang said.
“We have to face the problem of where to get the needed energy [if nuclear power is no longer the generator of our electricity]. We also have to face the [dilemma] of environmental protection, since we would have to acquire electricity through burning coal or using natural gas, which would lead to an increase in carbon dioxide emissions. Compared with nuclear power’s safety concerns, global warming is a more imminent challenge,” he added.
Jiang said that coal-generated power, natural gas and renewable energy have also raised objections, “such as alternative energy-source wind turbines, which have been opposed for the noise they make and ruining the landscape.”
He was referring to the Yuanli Self-Help Group, which has been protesting against a wind turbine project in Miaoli County’s Yuanli Township (苑裡), prompted by the government reaching a unilateral decision with German wind-power company InfraVest Wind Power Group without consulting the residents, and a law that sets the minimum distance between wind turbines and habitation at 250m, which is shorter than a range of between 400m and 1,500m maintained in countries such as Denmark and Germany.
In another round of protests staged by Yuanli residents on Wednesday last week, a protester said “the group welcomes the government promoting alternative, clean sources of energy, but it should develop a mechanism for local residents to participate in projects and not stand on the side of large enterprises.”
Jiang said that anyone who opposes nuclear power “has the responsibility of tabling an alternative energy development policy for the nation.”
On a potential referendum to decide whether to activate the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant by inserting the fuel rods, Jiang said the position of the Executive Yuan and the Presidential Office is nothing but “completing safety checks first before any possibility of a referendum.”
“But that does not mean once the safety check has been conducted by the Atomic Energy Council, a referendum automatically ensues,” the premier said, adding that the safety check report would be made public and discussed in the Legislature before any further discussion of a referendum.
The meaning of a referendum, Jiang said, is to have the people decide, “while well aware of the consequences, such as higher electricity tariffs and possible rationing of electricity, which suspension of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant might instigate,” whether they want to shoulder those burdens.
Responding to former Democratic Progressive Party chairman Lin I-hsiung’s (林義雄) hunger strike, Jiang said he does not want to see Lin suffer, and that in a democratic society “there are [other] ways, in accordance with democratic procedures, to express one’s opinion.”
Lin’s wording [of accusing the government of murdering him should anything unfortunate happen], “implying that those in power should bow to his urge or be a murderer, is extreme,” Jiang said. “We will leave it to the judgement of the public.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as