A shipment of 400 tonnes of French pork is expected to arrive in Kaohsiung Harbor late next month and might drive down pork prices, agricultural and economics officials said.
The officials said the shipment will be the first pork to arrive from France since the government last month approved French imports of pork that do not contain ractopamine.
The leanness-enhancing animal feed additive is heavily restricted in Taiwan and, while used in many countries, is banned by others over health concerns.
The French pork was imported by the National Animal Industry Foundation at the urging of the Representative to France Michel Lu (呂慶龍) in a bid to push down pork prices that peaked after a dysentery outbreak decimated the local pig population earlier this year.
Porcine epidemic diarrhea has been devastating Taiwan’s swine population since October last year, causing the price of piglets to skyrocket. According to the Council of Agriculture, the disease killed 40,000 piglets in February, which is still less than the peak of 70,000 in January.
Officials said they expect the pork from France to arrive before the Dragon Boat Festival on June 2, when pork consumption traditionally increases.
Taiwan applies the same policy to US pork, which can only be imported if certified by the US Department of Agriculture as ractopamine free, the officials said.
The nation had initially banned the feed additive in all imported meats, but relaxed regulations to allow beef imports containing set levels of ractopamine on Sept. 11 last year. However, cow and pig organs are still under the ban.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as