The three telecom services that would be opened to Chinese investment under the cross-strait service trade agreement would not put the nation’s information security at risk, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said, adding that the nation’s major telecom carriers are banned from hiring Chinese-funded computer maintenance service contractors.
The commission made the remarks at a public hearing on Tuesday after a few of the nation’s telecom and electrical engineering experts repeatedly said the pact would allow Chinese nationals to access telecom facilities and enable them to steal the personal information of Taiwanese.
The experts also announced their displeasure with NCC Chairperson Howard Shyr (石世豪), who said last week that the commission only knew three college professors who oppose the plans for telecom services. The experts said the list of qualified people opposed to the policy has expanded to nearly 200.
While the commission held a public hearing at 2pm, the experts held a press conference at the same time at a separate venue to voice their objections.
Asked why they chose not to debate the viability of the policy at the commission’s hearing, the experts said their initial task was to educate the public and they would consider discussing the issue with the commission at a later date.
Ferng Huei-wen (馮輝文), who teaches computer science and information engineering at National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, said that to ban Chinese from entering telecom facilities would be useless.
Taiwanese director Doze Niu (紐承澤) easily provided access for a Chinese photographer to take pictures at a naval base in Taiwan, so Chinese will be able to sneak into telecom facilities under false pretenses, the experts said.
Lin Tsung-nan (林宗男) of National Taiwan University’s Electrical Engineering department said the commission’s claims that the three telecom services are mostly used by corporations and operate on closed networks was just “a way of talking.”
“There is no such thing as a closed network,” Lin said.
The commission reiterated in its presentation at the hearing that the trade pact will only permit Chinese companies to invest in three services offered by Type II telecom businesses, including store and forward network services, store and retrieve network services, and data exchange communication services.
The commission added that Chinese telecom carriers investing in any of these three services must be a publicly listed firm in China or overseas and must not hold more than 50 percent of shares in the firms. Taiwanese carriers must also hold valid security certifications if they want to receive the investment from Chinese investors. Chinese nationals, on the other hand, are banned from entering the network facilities owned by Taiwanese carriers
Though Taiwan allows Chinese investment in computer maintenance companies, Taiwanese telecom carriers are not allowed to hire their services, nor are they allowed to ask any Chinese-funded companies to manage telecommunication facilities on their behalf.
China allows Taiwanese companies to invest in Internet access services, domestic and offshore call centers and online data transaction centers that are for electronic commerce (e-Commerce) Web sites only.
Some of the participants at the hearing said the telecom business should be considered a part of the national defense system and should not be opened to China.
They also questioned whether businesses would gain any competitive edge if their Web sites were allowed to be viewed in China. Some said that Beijing could force the Taiwanese businesspeople to turn over customer data if they want to do business in China.
NCC Spokesperson Yu Hsiao-cheng (虞孝成) said in response that subscribers to the telecom services are mostly corporate customers and will want their networks to be accessed by designated users only.
They buy the specialized services because they care more than anybody else about the security and reliability of the system, he said, adding that most of corporate users will also encrypt their messages to prevent any confidential information from being stolen.
“As far as I am concerned, the Chinese online shopping Web site Taobao has approximately 1 million users in Taiwan. Taiwanese buyers have already left their information there. We cannot ask people to stop their going to their Web sites for fear that their information might be stolen because that will make us no different from China,” he said.
Yu added that small and medium-sized businesses in Taiwan can benefit from the agreement because their creative products could have a legitimate way to directly reach a market of 1.3 billion people through their e-Commerce Web sites without fear of being blocked by the Chinese government.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated