Municipal leaders have reacted positively to a decision by student protesters to withdraw from the Legislative Yuan at 6pm tomorrow.
Protest leaders made the announcement on Monday night.
Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌), a Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) member, said society had paid a hefty price for the student movement, but credited it for giving the public a chance to review both positive and negative aspects of cross-strait exchanges.
New Taipei City Mayor Eric Chu (朱立倫), another KMT member, said that despite the heavy costs, society had learned many lessons.
Taoyuan County Commissioner John Wu (吳志揚), also of the KMT, urged the public to refocus on the issues themselves, saying that addressing them would be in the best interests of the public.
Greater Tainan Mayor William Lai (賴清德), a member of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), said he supported the students’ move to withdraw after completing their mission, adding that he had been impressed by the civic power and defense of democracy displayed by the movement.
Greater Kaohsiung Mayor Chen Chu (陳菊), another DPP member, thanked the students for waging a battle for Taiwan, and said she hoped that the proposed oversight law on cross-strait agreements would live up to the public’s expectations.
Meanwhile, writer Hsiao Yeh (小野) said the withdrawal would be a perfect ending and he saw the Sunflower movement as stopping the government from continuing to operate without transparency.
Many people had predicted that the student movement would not last long when it began on March 18, but Hsiao said he was happy to see that the students were imaginative and had built up momentum.
“I am supporting them, and I do not feel that they have damaged public property,” he said.
Representative to France Michel Lu (呂慶龍) said the occupation of the legislative chamber had helped the public to think more rationally about the service trade pact, even as the public continued their normal life, showing how deeply rooted democracy is in Taiwan.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of