A Taiwanese navy frigate and coast guard vessels that have been dispatched to help search for a missing Malaysia Airlines plane can dock at Malaysian ports to refuel and take on supplies, Foreign Minister David Lin (林永樂) said yesterday.
“We have reached an agreement with the Malaysian government that our frigate and vessels can dock in Malaysia if needed,” Lin told lawmakers at a hearing of the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee.
Taiwan and Malaysia do not have formal diplomatic relations, which could create diplomatic issues over Taiwanese military vessels docking in Malaysian ports.
Lin was responding to questions from lawmaker Lin Yu-fang (林郁方) of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT), who said the frigate and the coast guard vessels have enough supplies on board for 14 days at sea.
The ships will take about four days to reach the search area, which is more than 1,000 nautical miles (1,852km) from Taiwan, and four days to return, leaving only six days for them to search, Lin Yu-fang said.
In response, the foreign minister said Taiwan and Malaysia have reached an agreement to allow Taiwanese ships to dock at harbors in Malaysia.
On Monday, a Chengkung-class navy frigate and two coast guard patrol vessels were dispatched to join international efforts to look for the plane that disappeared in the early hours of Saturday. The ships are expected to reach the search area tomorrow.
Over the past two days, two C-130 transport planes have been dispatched to the South China Sea by the air force to help look for the missing aircraft.
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 disappeared from radar screens in the early hours of March 8 as it was flying over the sea between Malaysia and Vietnam about an hour after taking off from Kuala Lumpur on a flight to Beijing.
It was carrying 227 passengers — including Taiwanese national Chuang Hsiu-ling (莊秀玲) — and 12 flight crew members.
As of yesterday at press time, no debris from the plane had been discovered, leaving investigators perplexed and without any clues to determine what might have happened to the plane.
A total of 12 countries, including Taiwan, have joined the mission to search for the missing airliner.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a