Anti-nuclear protesters around the country plan to take to the streets on Saturday, calling for an end to plans to put the controversial Fourth Nuclear Power Plant into operation and the use of nuclear power.
The nationwide action is aimed at pushing the government to make a commitment to a no-nuke homeland, said Tsui Su-hsin (崔傃欣), secretary-general of Green Citizens’ Action Alliance, one of the participating non-governmental organizations.
Tsui said the alliance, along with several dozen civic organizations such as the Homemakers United Foundation, Taiwan Association for Human Rights and Taiwan Environmental Protection Union, would call for the scrapping of nuclear power plants.
“We hope to renew people’s passion for this issue as the anti-nuclear movement has entered a critical stage,” as the fourth nuclear plant could begin operations soon, Tsui said.
The Ministry of Economic Affairs said earlier this year that safety inspections on the nearly completed power plant are expected to run through June, and that if all goes well, it could start fuel rod installation by the end of the year.
The inspections were initiated in an effort to ease widespread public concerns after the 2011 Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant disaster in Japan, which was caused by a massive earthquake and tsunami.
Construction of the fourth power plant in New Taipei City’s Gongliao District (貢寮) began in 1999, but the project has repeatedly stalled due in part to the changing political climate and rising opposition to nuclear power.
Tsui said the government should immediately stop construction of the fourth nuclear plant and speedily decommission the other three that are in operation.
It is hoped that the rallies, which are to take place in Taipei, Greater Taichung, Greater Kaohsiung and Taitung, would draw at least 220,000 protesters, on a par with the nationwide anti-nuclear march last year, Tsui said.
Taiwan Power Co, which is in charge of the country’s power plants, has insisted that the fourth nuclear plant is safe and that measures have been taken to avert a Fukushima-type disaster.
The government has said that nuclear power is needed to ensure that the nation has a steady and adequate supply of electricity.
It has also said the fourth plant is safe and necessary, especially as the other three decades-old plants will be decommissioned eventually.
In Taipei, the demonstrators are expected to meet at three locations — the plaza in front of Wellcome Supermarket in Daan District (大安), the intersection between Linsen N Road and Nanjing E Road, and National Taiwan University’s main entrance.
The marches are to start at 2pm and conclude at 5pm in front of the Presidential Office building, and are to be followed by a vigil until 9:30pm.
In Greater Taichung, the rally starts at 1pm at Taichung Civic Square, while the rally in Greater Kaohsiung begins at 2pm at Kaohsiung Aouzihdi Forest Park.
In Taitung, the event is to take the form of a march and a flea market, starting at 1:30pm at the Nanjing Civilian Plaza, organizers said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and