The US has issued a low-key approval of the talks between representatives of Taiwan and China in Nanjing on Tuesday.
Asked if the US welcomed “these types of dialogues in the future between Taiwan and China,” US Department of State spokesperson Jennifer Psaki replied: “We do.”
“We welcome the steps both sides of the Taiwan Strait have taken to reduce tensions and improve relations between Beijing and Taipei,” Psaki said.
“We encourage authorities in Beijing and Taipei to continue their constructive dialogue, which has led to significant improvement in the cross-strait relationship. So, we certainly welcome the resumption,” she added.
Psaki was asked if Taiwan or China had contacted the US before Tuesday’s meeting.
She said she would have to check on that and find out if there had been any prior discussions.
Later, a Washington source with close ties to the administration of US President Barack Obama told the Taipei Times that there had been discussions with Taipei before the meeting and that the US expected to receive a full background briefing on the outcome.
Psaki did not mention the meeting when she opened her regular Department of State press briefing on Tuesday and the question about the meeting was not asked until near the end of the session.
If she had not been specifically asked, the meeting would likely not have been mentioned.
“We are not making a big deal of this,” the Washington source said.
The New York Times reported that while few breakthroughs were expected from the meeting, “the symbolism of the talks was considered noteworthy.”
The newspaper quoted Jonathan Sullivan, a China specialist at the University of Nottingham in England, as saying that Beijing knew that President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) “is pro-China.”
Sullivan said that because China did not know what the next president of Taiwan would be like, Beijing may want “to try and institutionalize some contact mechanism and lock in future political leaders in Taiwan.”
Time magazine said on its Web site that the Nanjing meeting had “once seemed impossible.”
“Though the talks barely made headlines on the Chinese mainland, they are likely to cause a stir in Taiwan, which remains deeply split on the issue,” it said. “President Ma’s second term is half over and there is a growing sense that, when it comes to cross-strait ties, the winds may yet turn.”
Following the talks, Reuters reported that they marked “a big step towards expanding cross-strait dialogue beyond economic and trade issues.”
On Monday, the Washington-based Freedom House urged the Chinese government to issue visas to two Taiwanese reporters denied entry to China and thus preventing them from covering the Nanjing meeting.
“The Chinese government’s refusal to grant access to these journalists reflects two important trends — the Communist Party’s expansion of its tactics for influencing media from Hong Kong to Taiwan, and the government’s use of visa denials as a way to punish overseas news outlets for critical coverage,” Freedom House senior research analyst Sarah Cook said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as