The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) yesterday drafted Minister Without Portfolio Yang Chiu-hsing (楊秋興) as its candidate in the Greater Kaohsiung mayoral election, skipping the primary process in its bid for victory in the pan-green stronghold.
The 57-year-old Yang, a former member of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), previously served as Kaohsiung county commissioner. He lost in the last election in 2010 to Greater Kaohsiung Mayor Chen Chu (陳菊).
Following his defeat, he campaigned for President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) re-election in 2012 and joined the KMT last year.
His selection was approved by the KMT’s Central Standing Committee yesterday.
“Yang has dedicated his efforts to the development of Greater Kaohsiung for years and was recognized as a ‘five-star’ local government head. We think he is an appropriate candidate,” KMT spokesperson Yang Wei-chung (楊偉中) said.
The KMT skipped the primary process in Greater Kaohsiung as it is one of the cities that the party defined as a tough electoral district in the seven-in-one elections to be held later this year.
Yang Chiu-hsing will face a tough battle against Chen, but the KMT will spare no effort to seek victory in Greater Kaohsiung, Yang Wei-chung said.
The committee also approved the nomination of Keelung Council Speaker Huang Ching-tai (黃景泰) as its candidate for the Keelung mayoral election and KMT Legislator Lin Ming-chen (林明溱) as its candidate in the Nantou County commissioner election.
Ma, in his capacity as KMT chairman, yesterday called for party unity ahead of the elections and promised to nominate the most talented candidates.
“The KMT and local branches will make every effort to complete the nomination process in accordance with the party’s plan and present talented candidates to represent the party in the elections,” Ma said yesterday when presiding over the committee meeting at KMT headquarters in Taipei.
The party has completed two rounds of nomination procedures and will finalize the final nominations in key campaigns, including Taipei, New Taipei City (新北市) and Greater Taichung, after the Lunar New Year holidays.
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated