An all-volunteer civilian medical team looking after former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁), who has been diagnosed as having a degenerative brain disease, yesterday called on the authorities to parole Chen and allow him to be reunited with his family for the Lunar New Year holiday.
Members of the medical team, which includes National Taiwan University Hospital physician and aspirant for Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲), and doctors Kuo Cheng-deng (郭正典) and Janice Chen (陳昭姿), made the call at a press conference held in Taipei yesterday, along with the former president’s attorney, Cheng Wen-lung (鄭文龍), and his son, Chen Chih-chung (陳致中).
Chen Shui-bian, who is serving a 20-year prison term for corruption, was sent to Taichung Veterans General Hospital for surgery to treat sleep apnea on Tuesday last week. He has since returned to Taichung Prison’s Pei Teh Hospital, where a special medical zone has been set up for him.
Photo: George Tsorng, Taipei Times
Cheng wen-lung said the Taipei District Court’s announcement on Dec. 20 that the former president’s trial on charges of corruption and seizing confidential government documents had been suspended due to concerns about his health cited a medical report produced by a team led by Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital vice superintendent Chen Shun-sheng (陳順勝).
The report said the former president had been diagnosed with various complications, including severe depression, a speech impediment, sleep apnea, non-typical Parkinson’s disease, a speech disorder, mild cerebral atrophy, poor memory and early signs of dementia, among other symptoms.
Citing the report, the district court concluded that “Chen Shui-bian’s life or health would be at risk,” the lawyer said.
Ko called on the authorities to consider paroling the former president during the Lunar New Year holiday at the end of this month and eventually to release him so that he can be cared for at home.
Chen Shui-bian’s sense of direction, spatial awareness and mathematical skills are all degrading, Ko said, adding that the former president could not even give the correct answer to the equation 100 minus seven when he visited him on Thursday.
Ko said that he did not understand how a former president of the nation could have come to be in such a state, adding that a civilized society treats its enemies and captives in a civilized way.
It is sad for Taiwanese society to have witnessed such a historical tragedy, but now that the judicial system has seen medical proof that Chen Shui-bian is not fit to stand trial, it should consider releasing him or at least give him medical parole so he can be cared for at home, Ko said.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Chen Ting-fei (陳亭妃) said that if former Executive Yuan secretary-general Lin Yi-shih (林益世), who was sentenced to seven years and four months in prison by the Taipei District Court for accepting about NT$60 million (US$2 million) in bribes from a contractor in May last year, could return home for the holidays, she saw no reason why the former president should not.
She said that Chen Shui-bian had said that Taichung Prison was a “shithole” before his condition worsened, adding that the former president would wish to be treated at home if it were possible.
Chen Chih-chung said that his father’s condition had not improved after he was transferred to Pei Teh Hospital in April last year, adding that a change of environment — medical parole at home — would be required if his father’s condition is to improve.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as