Taiwanese artists are set to light up France with music next year when they embark on a mission to promote Taiwanese music at Marche International du Disque et de l’Edition Musicale (MIDEM), a music trade fair in France that is billed as the world’s largest.
Pop diva A-Lin (黃麗玲), singer-songwriter Xiaoyu (小宇), pop-rock singer Shin (信) and the a cappella singing group O-Kai Singers (歐開合唱團) will perform their popular hits at a Taiwan Night concert in Paris on Jan. 30, GCA Entertainment Co said.
They are to perform at a similar concert at the music fair in Cannes on Feb. 1, the company said, which was commissioned by the Ministry of Culture to organize the concerts.
The Taiwan Night concerts are part of the government’s efforts to promote Taiwanese music at MIDEM, which attracts thousands of musicians, producers and managers each year.
Wang Hsi-chuan, co-producer of the O-Kai Singers’ award-winning debut album, said the group would prepare a program of a cappella music, traditional Aboriginal tunes and French folk songs.
The O-Kai Singers won the prestigious Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards in the US earlier this year for their album O-Kai A Cappella.
Shin, known for his wide vocal range, said he hoped to interact with musicians from different countries in France and to arouse their interest in Taiwan.
“That is what we as musicians can do,” he said.
Chang Chung-jen (張崇仁), head of the ministry’s Bureau of Audiovisual and Music Industry Development, called MIDEM “the best venue” for introducing Taiwanese musicians to the world.
The organizer of MIDEM won the Taiwan-France Cultural Award this year, he said.
It is the 19th year for Taiwan to participate in the annual trade fair, which will take place from Feb. 1 to Feb. 4. In addition to setting up exhibition booths, the government has been sending Taiwanese entertainers to give live performances at the fair in recent years.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as