A grandson of former president Chiang Ching-kuo (蔣經國) yesterday denied charges that he threatened to harm the Taipei American School (TAS), the students and members of its faculty.
During a hearing at the Shilin District Court in Taipei, Andrew Chiang (蔣友青) said he never had any intention of intimidating TAS or using illegal means to deal with a conflict he had with the school.
A former TAS student who transferred to another school in 2006, Andrew Chiang was indicted on Nov. 28 after allegedly making threatening comments against the school, especially its deputy superintendent, via Facebook and e-mail, between August and last month.
Photo: Lo Pei-der, Taipei Times
Prosecutors said an investigation showed that over the past two years, the 23-year-old had created loud noise disturbances several times on the school campus in protest against what he called unfair treatment by the school’s deputy superintendent while he was a student there.
On Aug. 21, he turned to Facebook to voice his anger, writing status updates in which he threatened to “slaughter” the school, prosecutors said.
He also sent e-mails from his home to the school’s deputy superintendent threatening to “spoil his life and throw him into jail,” they said.
In one of his Facebook posts, Andrew Chiang described himself as a terrorist and said he hated TAS and believes that the school killed his uncle.
Andrew Chiang’s lawyer said during the hearing that the Facebook posts were mostly expressions of emotions and that some were merely lyrics of pop songs.
Andrew Chiang did not directly mention the school in his posts or circulate the posts publicly, his lawyer said.
Andrew Chiang is the youngest of three sons of Chiang Hsiao-yung (蔣孝勇), who died of cancer in 1996 at the age of 48. Chiang Hsiao-yung was the youngest of three sons of Chiang Ching-kuo, who died in 1988 aged 77.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated