President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) administration has opened a “back door” for Chinese investment to be exempt from restrictions in the planned free economic pilot zones (FEPZs) before the zones are established and the cross-strait service trade agreement clears the legislature, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmakers said yesterday.
“It is illegal. It is like a false start in the 100 meter dash,” DPP Legislator Cheng Li-chiun (鄭麗君) told a press conference.
The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) secretly bulletined an amended Measures Governing Investment Permit to the People of the Mainland Area (大陸地區人民來台投資許可辦法) on Thursday last week, which lifted the restrictions on the category, ratio and amount for Chinese investment as long as there are no national security concerns, Cheng said.
As the service trade pact is still awaiting legislative screening and the special statute on FEPZs — which are to be established across the country in the hope of boosting the economy by liberalization of personnel, logistics and financial flows, relaxation of investment restrictions and tax incentives — has yet to be sent to the Legislative Yuan, the administration has unilaterally and illegally opened the door to Chinese investors, Cheng said.
The unilateral measure would likely make the FEPZs the “Chinese economic pilot zones,” DPP Legislator Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) said.
The move was indicative of Ma’s strategy to bypass legislative monitoring and allow the influx of Chinese investment regardless of whether lawmakers eventually ratify the trade agreement or not, Chen said.
Chinese investors could now invest on any sector in the FEPZs they want, Chen said.
Lai Chung-chiang (賴中強), spokesperson for the Democratic Front Against Cross-Strait Trade in Service Agreement (反黑箱服貿民主陣線), said the government had violated the Constitution because the FEPZ special statute has not been enacted.
The regulation on Chinese investment should be in place before the legislature begins screening the service trade pact, Lai said.
“Otherwise, the administrative branch could liberalize those investment categories scrapped by lawmakers by administrative orders and the legislative screening would be meaningless,” Lai said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty