The legislature’s Transportation Committee yesterday passed a resolution asking the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC) to submit a plan to protect visitors to coastal areas after eight people were killed by a rogue wave on the northeast coast on Saturday, and called for the officials responsible to be held accountable.
The accident happened when a group of Shulin Community College students were walking on the Bitou Cape Trail in Longdong Geopark. Eight others were injured.
Lawmakers were particularly angered by remarks made by Hsu Cheng-long (許正隆), director of the Northeast and Yilan Coast National Scenic Area Administration, who reportedly said the agency was morally responsible for the tragedy.
Photo: CNA
For the scenic area administration to say it is only morally responsible shows that ministry officials are clueless about crisis management, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lu Chia-cheng (盧嘉辰) said.
The Tourism Bureau issued a statement yesterday saying that Hsu would be transferred.
Lu referred to an accident in 1977, in which 32 college students died when the ship they were on capsized in Suao Port, Yilan County. Then-minister of education Chiang Yen-shi (蔣彥士) resigned over the incident, the lawmaker said.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Kuan Bi-ling (管碧玲) said that former Taiwan Provincial Government education director Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) also resigned to take responsibility when Fengyuan Senior High School’s auditorium collapsed in 1983, killing 26 teachers and students.
She said the scenic area administration’s careless statement about the rogue wave was unacceptable.
Kuan, who presided over the committee meeting yesterday, said Minister of Transportation and Communications Yeh Kuang-shih (葉匡時) should apologize over the remark before tomorrow, when the committee would meet again.
If he refuses to do so, Yeh should step down, Kuan said.
DPP Legislator Lee Kun-tse (李昆澤) said that cold-blooded government officials are even scarier than rogue waves. He said the administration had been negligent because it only had five policemen patroling the coastline at the time of the accident.
Deputy Minister of Transportation and Communications Jonathan Chen (陳純敬) said the ministry would not shirk its responsibilities.
He said the scenic area administration had set up signs to warn visitors about rogue waves, but it does not have sufficient personnel to monitor the coastline extensively. Chen said the ministry has reached an agreement with the New Taipei City (新北市) Government to increase the number of law enforcement officers assigned to the area.
Chen also said the bureau would re-evaluate all the coastlines in scenic areas to address any safety issues. The bureau is also considering temporarily shutting down coastline walking trails if wind speeds and wave heights reach certain levels.
The Central Weather Bureau said rogue waves generally occur between May and June, and between October and January, particularly in Keelung, Yilan County, Greater Kaohsiung and Pintung County.
About 79 percent of rogue wave accidents happen when people are fishing or involved in water sports, the bureau added.
New Taipei Mayor Eric Chu (朱立倫) said security at northeastern coastal areas will be tightened to prevent further accidents.
Chu made the remarks after paying his respects to the dead at the New Taipei City municipal funeral parlor and extending his condolences to bereaved family members.
Chu said the city government will collaborate with the administration to increase safety precautions at the Longdong Geopark, known for its abundant and bizarre rock formations.
“We will also cooperate with the central government closely to ensure safety in northern and northeastern coastal areas, and prevent a repeat of this tragedy,” Chu said.
According to the city government’s plan, it will hold a meeting every two months attended by relevant central government units to review safety measures in northeastern coastal scenic areas.
The city government will also set up a special task force to intensify patrols at select scenic areas on weekends and national holidays, Chu said, adding that an emergency reporting system will be established in the near future.
Chu said the city government will be offering consolation money to the families of the victims.
Additional reporting by CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as