Multiple constitutional mechanisms, including a recall of President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and a no-confidence motion against the Cabinet, should be enacted simultaneously to hold Ma accountable for infringing the Constitution and staging political persecutions that have destabilized the country, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmakers said at a press conference in Taipei yesterday.
DPP Chairman Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said separately that the party would take whatever action is needed within two weeks if Ma does not apologize for his mistakes and step down.
Su had said on Monday that the measures would be taken at “an appropriate time” and also appealed to Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers to “make the right decision” in supporting the measures.
Photo: Liao Chen-huei, Taipei Times
DPP Legislator Yeh Yi-jin (葉宜津) initiated a proposal for the no-confidence motion against the Cabinet last week and is collecting signatures to back it.
Thirty-three DPP legislators have endorsed Yeh’s proposal and the initiative was five signatures away from meeting the threshold to make it official, the lawmaker said yesterday morning, adding that the passage of the motion is banking on the support of more than a dozen KMT lawmakers.
The initiative should have no problem meeting the threshold — the signatures of more than one-third of the total number of legislators.
The Additional Articles of the Constitution stipulate that 72 hours after a no-confidence motion is filed, an open-ballot vote must be taken within 48 hours. The motion passes if at least half the lawmakers vote in favor of it.
If the motion is passed, the premier is required to resign within 10 days and a legislative by-election must be held no later than 60 days after the president dissolves the legislature.
However, some DPP lawmakers say the no-confidence motion is not the right tactic to adopt at this moment.
DPP Legislator Lee Chun-yi (李俊俋) said that the root cause for the current political stalemate lies in Ma’s vicious and illegal political maneuvers, which were aimed at expanding his presidential power to control the three branches of government.
That is why the legislature should immediately launch a probe into Ma’s alleged misconduct before initiating a recall campaign or a no-confidence motion and “let the public be the judges on the political gridlock,” DPP Legislator Cheng Li-chiun (鄭麗君) said.
Recalling the president would be even more difficult than passing the no-confidence motion, as a recall bid must first be proposed by one-quarter of all legislators, then ratified by two-thirds of all legislators before it is put to a national referendum.
A successful recall requires 50 percent voter support in a referendum and a turnout of more than 50 percent of registered voters.
Separately yesterday, Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) was asked to comment on the idea proposed recently by C.V. Chen (陳長文), a lawyer and confidant of Ma’s, that the president dissolve the legislature to break the gridlock.
C.V. Chen made the remarks in an opinion piece published by the Chinese-language China Times on Monday.
Jiang said he respected the right of the legislature to initiate a motion of no-confidence against the Cabinet, adding that he was not in a position to comment on the issue.
The president can only invoke the constitutional right to dissolve the legislature after it passes a no-confidence motion against the Cabinet, Jiang said.
“The right to initiate the mechanism rests with the legislature,” he said.
DPP Legislator Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) had told the press conference in Taipei that “Ma is the one who initiated the political plot against Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) and should be held responsible for his mistake. It does not make sense to instead punish the legislature with a dissolution.”
“You do not punish a white cat when a black cat steals food,” he added.
Additional reporting by Shih Hsiu-chuan
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as