Media and show business personalities yesterday joined other protesters in front of the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office Special Investigation Division (SID) to demand the resignation of Prosecutor-General Huang Shih-ming (黃世銘), who had allegedly approved the use of illegal wiretaps.
Huang reportedly met with President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) on Aug. 31 and Sept. 1 to discuss the alleged improper lobbying by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) of former minister of justice Tseng Yung-fu (曾勇夫), High Prosecutors’ Office Head Prosecutor Chen Shou-huang (陳守煌) and High Prosecutors’ Office prosecutor Lin Shiow-tao (林秀濤) on behalf of Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) caucus whip Ker Chien-ming (柯建銘).
Though an investigation into Wang’s actions had been closed without charges being filed and only administrative penalties have been suggested for him, the public and the DPP had been angered at what they called the “illegal grounds” of the division’s wiretapping of the phone lines of Wang, Ker and others.
Photo: CNA
Former TVBS vice president Ge Shu-ren (葛樹人) and actress Kuo Mei-chu (郭美珠) took part in the protest, along with the 929 protest event spokesperson Ryan Wu (吳睿穎) and others dressed in black — an allusion to police covert activities — to protest Huang’s allegations against Ker.
The SID initially responded to the protest by pulling down the metal doors that block off the hallway to its office, but after Kuo took off her shoes and started using them to hammer the door — an act that encouraged other protestors to try to manually raise the doors — the SID completely shut the door, while police officers formed a wall and started to push the protesters back.
Ge then calmed tensions by urging the protesters not to become irate over the matter and led the crowd in chanting slogans.
Ge said that he was against using personal influence for lobbying, but the crux of the issue lay not with Wang’s lobbying for Ker, but rather how the SIC handled its investigation.
The public cannot accept the division’s blatant wiretapping and infringement of rights, Ge said.
Ge also said that an anti-Ma protest scheduled for tomorrow would include a “wall” on which participants could vent their frustration.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as