Long the stuff of folklore and the source of ghost stories among Taipei residents, the spooky environs of the Xinhai Tunnel (辛亥隧道) topped a recent online poll of the “Top Ten Haunted Sites” in Taiwan.
Yam.com, which conducted the poll last month, said it received votes from 120,000 netizens. The results were released earlier this week, just a few days ahead of the start of Ghost Month on Wednesday.
A Yam.com official said that the tunnel’s western entrance is next to Taipei Municipal Second Funeral Parlor on Xinhai Road, a number of fatal accidents have occurred in or near the tunnel, and several large public and private cemeteries are located in the mountains behind the tunnel, all of which help give the area an eerie feeling.
There are also urban legends about motorists seeing ghostly figures when driving through the tunnel late at night.
Another road, the Taipei-Yilan Highway, or Provincial Highway No. 9, came in at No. 2 on the list.
The winding mountain road, which has many hairpin turns, runs from New Taipei City’s (新北市) Sindian District (新店) to Yilan County.
It has been the scene of scores of fatal accidents over the years and victims’ families are known to toss ghost money along the route to assure a peaceful rest for the departed.
Coming in at No. 3 is the Chinese Culture University’s Daren Hall, which houses the arts and foreign languages departments.
There is a popular rumor about students that the building’s elevator is haunted because it sometimes takes people to “B1,” a non-existent floor.
However, one alumnus said the rumor is the result of a prank.
“Some students wanted to play a joke and put a ‘B1’ sign on the elevator’s button panel as a Halloween prank. They were just trying to have some fun by scaring people,” the graduate said.
The university did not comment on the poll.
Two “haunted houses” made the list, one in Singjhong Village (興中) in Chiayi County’s Mingsyong Township (民雄) and one in Keelung.
Singjhong Village head Yao Feng-chung (姚鋒鍾) said there were tales about the Mingsyong house many years ago, but most locals just regard it as an ordinary old house.
Keelung residents who live close to the old house belonging to the Lin clan on the list also say there is nothing scary about the building, it just looks a bit old.
The Katoli Circus, an abandoned amusement park in Greater Taichung’s Dakeng District (大坑) was also a top vote-getter.
It is considered the most famous haunted site in central Taiwan and is a popular place for late-night visits by young people.
The dilapidated building in Greater Tainan that once housed the Singlin Hospital, its doors and windows now padlocked, made the list, as did the Xining Public Housing complex in Taipei.
One Xining resident, surnamed Yu (余), who has lived there since he was a child, said there was nothing scary about it.
“It takes about seven years to be able to get an apartment in a public housing project in Taipei. There are not enough places for humans to live around here, let alone ghosts,” he said.
Also on the list were a temple in Greater Kaohsiung and an apartment building near Baishawan (白沙灣) in New Taipei City.
A Yam.com spokesperson said the poll was “just for fun.”
“We always have a healthy respect for the powers of the supernatural world. The sites chosen for the poll came from recommendations and reporting by bloggers, the media and netizens. The poll is not meant to denigrate any of these places,” the spokesperson said.
Additional reporting by Lin Liang-sheng, Ling Yi-chang and Lai Hsiao-tung
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as