A 73-year-old on a ventilator yesterday called on President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) to provide new housing before next month, when homes in Huaguang Community (華光社區) are scheduled to be dismantled.
“There is not much I ask the government to do, only that it helps resolve our relocation problem and abrogates the fines,” Yu Ssu-chin (余賜秦) told a press conference in Taipei organized by Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Tien Chiu-chin (田秋堇).
A monthly wage of little more than NT$30,000 from his youngest son is the main source of income Yu’s family of five relies on, said a student surnamed Tung (董) who, with other students, has sided with the residents to preserve their houses.
Photo: Liao Chen-huei, Taipei Times
Tung said the residents recently received a letter from the Ministry of Justice, which owns the land, reminding them demolition is set to begin at the end of next month, but most of them have nowhere to go.
Located near Taipei’s National Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, the Huaguang Community has been designated by the Executive Yuan as the site for a commercial zone.
The community was originally a neighborhood of 183 households, but earlier this year, part of the neighborhood was flattened despite opposition from residents.
Yu said the house he has lived in for more than 30 years was bought from a friend and the transaction was completed after filing for registration at the Daan District Office.
“Although I did not own the land, the house was mine,” Yu said.
Therefore, Yu said he does not understand why he was found by the ministry to be illegally profiting from occupying the land.
After the ministry won a lawsuit, the court ordered forfeiture of one-third of his youngest son’s salary to pay legal costs of NT$130,000.
In addition to a fine of NT$2 million (US$66,862), Yu must pay NT$110,000 for the dismantling of his house if he fails to demolish it by the deadline.
“I cannot afford all these fines. I cannot afford to live in public housing either because I have to pay a deposit of NT$50,000 before we move in, monthly rent of NT$10,000, management costs of NT$1,000 and a parking fee of NT$2,000 per month,” Yu said.
The ministry has arranged for Huaguang residents to live in public housings, but many of them have found the accommodation unaffordable or unsuitable, Tung said.
“We urge the Ministry of Justice to call off its demolition plans until it provides relocation assistance for the displaced people that meets their specific needs,” Tung said, joined by dozens of students at the press conference.
John Liu (劉可強), professor and executive director of the Building and Planning Research Foundation at National Taiwan University, slammed the government for “a gross violation of the Constitution” over the salary forfeiture and over the forced evictions without adequate alternative housing as required by international human rights standards under the two human rights covenants the nation has signed.
Tien said Ma should step in to settle the problem because he had repeatedly promised the residents when he was mayor of Taipei that their houses would not be flattened before they have adequate places to live in.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as