While the homes of four families in Dapu (大埔) in Miaoli County’s Jhunan Township (竹南) were being forcefully dismantled yesterday, a group of residents led by Miaoli County Council Speaker Yu Chung-tien (游忠鈿) were in Taipei slamming opponents of the demolition.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislators Chen Chao-ming (陳超明) and Hsu Yao-chang (徐耀昌), both from Miaoli, which has only two legislative seats, scheduled a press conference in support of the Miaoli County Government to coincide with the demolition.
“Out of a total of 38 county councilors in Miaoli, 32 are here today. Supporters of the four families have stood in the way of the county’s development. As county councilors, we would have stopped the demolition if the county government had done anything wrong,” Yu said.
Photo: Wang Min-wei, Taipei Times
The four houses were flattened to make way for a 154 hectare development project, which includes the expansion of the Jhunan Science Park, erecting public facilities and establishing a residential commercial district. Farmland and houses on 136 hectares were expropriated for the project.
Yu said he wished that the residents of the four houses, owned by Ko Cheng-fu (柯成福), Huang Fu-ji (黃福記), Peng Hsiu-chun (彭秀春) and Chu Su (朱樹), can look up to people who donate land to build roads and bridges, without expecting compensation.
“Only once the four houses were torn down could justice and fairness be fulfilled. If these houses were not torn down, how would the other 39 families whose houses had already been dismantled endure the pain? The [families owning the four houses] should make public interest a priority,” Chen said.
Other than labeling the four families “obstacles” to local development, supporters of the development project called students, academics and activists from various non-governmental organizations backing the four families “outsiders.”
“Miaoli is a home to us local people, not to them [supporters of the four families]. What are they? Students and human rights activists,” Chen said.
Dapu Village Warden Cheng Wen-ching (鄭文進) said if the four houses were left standing they would pose a danger to the public because they would block traffic, but demolishing them did not leave the families homeless, because they would get other houses to live in.
The issue was not about a majority of people in Miaoli overwhelming the four families, but about public interest and road safety, the county government’s economic development department director Shen Yu-pin (沈又斌) said.
If the four houses remained standing, they could block traffic and cause fatal traffic accidents. If that happened, the Miaoli County Government would be held criminally liable, Shen said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as