Kinmen County Commissioner Li Wo-shi (李沃士) has proposed allowing the archipelago to be developed into “duty-free islands” to boost tourism and the local economy.
Li, a Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) member, elaborated on his proposal at a Kinmen economic forum that was held on the county’s main island on Monday.
Tourism is the backbone of Kinmen’s development, Li said.
By integrating travel and shopping, the county, previously a heavily militarized outpost, could enjoy an economic boost, he said.
China’s Xiamen, which is close to Kinmen, saw 41.24 million foreign and domestic travelers last year, Li said.
Given this potentially huge market, the county should think hard about how to attract travelers, who would only have to take a 30-minute ferry ride from Xiamen to reach Kinmen, he said.
Li said he has asked the central government to grant Chinese tourists multiple-entry visas for Kinmen and has also asked Beijing to ease the current Kinmen one-day tour restrictions to two or three days.
Furthermore, duty-free shopping would also tempt people from Taiwan proper to make the short trip to the archipelago.
The Kinmen economic forum was organized by the Taiwan Competitiveness Forum, a Taipei-based think tank, which invited officials, academics and business representatives from Taiwan, Hong Kong and China to discuss issues concerning the strategic value, economy and industry of Kinmen, as well as a proposal to establish a “living circle” covering Kinmen and Xiamen to make more effective use of tourism resources.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as