The Tourism Bureau yesterday said travel agents could face fines of between NT$10,000 and NT$50,000 for continuing to organize tours to the Philippines after the government issued a red alert for travel to that nation.
The policy was executed based on Article 49 of the Regulations for Administration of Travel Agencies (旅行業管理規則), which states that travel agents may be punished for failing to comply with administrative and supervisory rules set by the Tourism Bureau. The policy took effect yesterday.
The Executive Yuan launched more sanctions against the Philippines after the latter was deemed to have responded passively to Taiwan’s demands for an apology following the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman by Philippine Coast Guard personnel on Thursday last week.
One of the measures was to raise the travel alert to the Philippines to “red,” which means it is inappropriate to travel to the country.
As such, travel agents and independent travelers are discouraged from organizing trips to the Philippines.
While travel agents have said they were willing to comply with the government’s policy, they expressed concern about the disputes that might arise regarding refunds to customers.
Travel Agents Association chairman Yao Da-kuang (姚大光) said that most of the travelers planning to go to Boracay and Cebu before July have made full payment, which covers both airfare and accommodations.
Even though Philippine Airlines, Zest Airways, Far Eastern Air Transport (FAT) and Mandarin Airlines have agreed to give full refunds for charter flights that may be canceled, and without charging processing fees, the association said it still needs to work on confirming refunds from hoteliers.
“Consumers and travel agents are willing to comply with the government’s policy, but it should have complementary measures to execute the policy. After all, travelers should not be put on the sacrificial altar for politics,” the association said in a statement.
Yang Yeong-sheng (楊永盛), director of the Tourism Bureau’s planning and research division, said that seeking refunds from hoteliers may be difficult because tourists’ circumstances may vary.
“Some tourists booked five-star hotels, while others booked three-star ones,” Yang said. “The number of days the tourists were planning to spend on tour differ as well. Meanwhile, some were set to leave on a tour next month, but others might not be leaving until July. The association has to work out a system on how to refund the customers based on these various factors.”
Yang said the bureau had asked the association to determine how many travel agents would be unable to refund customers, adding that these agents would be asked to provide detailed explanations.
According to Yang, an estimated 18,000 Taiwanese had booked tours to the Philippines for July or August.
Some tourists may not go as planned because travel agents have stopped organizing tours to the Philippines, which means that there is no need to charter flights to carry passengers.
The Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) said that Philippine Airlines’ right to fly charter flight is valid until next month.
However, Zest Airways’ and FAT’s right to fly charter flights expires at the end of this month. Mandarin Airlines was scheduled to launch charter flight services in July.
Chu Kuan-wen (朱冠文), director of the agency’s air transport division, said the CAA cannot ban airlines from offering charter flights to the Philippines, but charter flights are likely to be canceled due to a lack of passengers.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as