A pan-green supporter yesterday failed in an attempt to throw a chicken at President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) during Ma’s visit to Greater Tainan to attend a forum with local Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) members.
Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU) Tainan City branch director Chen Chang-hui (陳昌輝) protested against Ma’s visit outside the building of the KMT’s Tainan branch, and tried to throw a live chicken at Ma when he arrived.
His attempt failed after security guards blocked him 20m from the president and seized the chicken.
Photo: Lin Meng-ting, Taipei Times
Shouting “Step down, Ma Ying-jeou,” Chen said the protest was aimed at highlighting the Ma administration’s poor handling of anti-avian flu efforts following the nation’s first case of H7N9 avian influenza last week.
Ma, who also serves as KMT chairman, kept to his schedule and met with party members to discuss government policies, including the pension reform efforts and the construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei City’s (新北市) Gongliao District (貢寮).
The president said that the Labor Pension Fund and the pension fund for retired military personnel, teachers and civil servants are set to become bankrupt in 2019 and 2031 respectively, if the government did not begin pension reform now.
“I cannot leave this issue unsolved because the bankruptcy of the funds won’t happen during my term. I must plan for the next generations,” he said.
As to the controversies about the construction of the nuclear plant, Ma said issues such as electricity fees and electricity restrictions should be considered when determining whether to continue the construction of the plant.
The government has proposed a national referendum to determine the future of the plant. The proposed referendum cleared a vote in the legislature last week, paving the way for the plebiscite proposal to be passed in June.
If the proposal passes a second and third reading, a referendum would be held no sooner than one month and no later than six months later, without being subject to a screening by the Executive Yuan’s Referendum Review Committee.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty