Former presidential adviser Wu Li-pei (吳澧培), who was found not guilty in a money-laundering case, yesterday filed lawsuits against two prosecutors and two judges for what he called their abuse of judicial powers and political persecution.
Accompanied by his lawyers, Wu filed lawsuits against former Special Investigation Division (SID) prosecutors Chen Yun-nan (陳雲南) and Tsai Tsun-hsi (蔡宗熙) for malicious prosecution and judges Tsai Shou-hsun (蔡守訓) and Lee Ying-hao (李英豪) for malicious accusation.
“The lawsuits may not end up with the results I want, but it’s imperative for me to stand up against the prosecutorial abuse and political persecution after the Chinese Nationalist Party’s (KMT) return to power in 2008,” Wu told a press conference before filing the lawsuits at the Taipei District Court.
Photo: Wang Min-wei, Taipei Times
The former presidential adviser said that he was subpoenaed as a witness in another case, but ended up being indicted on money-laundering charges “simply because the prosecutors said I had a close relationship with former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁).”
The prosecutors appealed the case without any new evidence until “a judge with a conscience” cleared the charges against him in October 2011, three years after he was indicted, Wu said.
“Those who abused their judicial power should be held accountable,” he said.
The lawsuits were part of an effort by a group of self-proclaimed “judicial victims,” who said they were victims of political persecution aimed at former officials of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) administration, to highlight the necessity of judicial reform.
There have been at least 14 cases in which one or more former officials in the DPP administration were charged with corruption, but were later found not guilty, the group said.
The group has named 17 prosecutors in five cases so far and said they would continue to file lawsuits in the coming weeks.
Former DPP legislator Wu Ming-min (吳明敏) filed lawsuits accusing three investigators in the Ministry of Justice’s Investigation Bureau of subornation of perjury last week in Taichung and former Tainan mayor Hsu Tain-tsair (許添財), who has been found not guilty in a corruption case, is scheduled to file a similar lawsuit on April 1.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as