Files on political cases relating to the 228 Massacre and the White Terror era must be made readily available if Taiwan is to succeed in transitional justice, a legislator has urged after the National Archives earlier this month announced that the victims, their spouses and immediate family members can now ask for copies of all files and data of the victims’ cases.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Yu Mei-nu (尤美女) said making the files available was a key component of transitional justice.
The victims and their families had suffered violations to their rights to personal freedom and had their reputations and families destroyed by the national apparatus, and the wishes of the victims or their family members to understand why they had been politically oppressed should be respected by the government, Yu said, adding that the government had the obligation to provide the required data.
It is unbecoming for the government to wait until it receives such requests before processing them, but it is absurd that it is charging the victims or their families for reprinting the files, Yu said.
Pointing to the experience of someone involved with the Committee on Affairs to Arm Taiwan case, Yu said the individual had been charged NT$10,000 for all the reprinted material, adding that the Chen Wen-chen Foundation had also been asked to pay NT$1,180 for 585 pages of information on the death of Chen Wen-chen (陳文成).
Former DPP legislator Shih Ming-te (施明德) also had to spend a lot of money applying for print-outs on cases that he had been involved in, Yu said.
The Committee on Affairs to Arm Taiwan case referred to the arrest of 63 people in Taichung on allegations of collaborating with Chinese communists.
Chen — a Taiwanese academic who had studied and worked in the US as an assistant professor in the department of statistics at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and a sympathizer of Taiwan’s democracy movements — was found dead on the lawn of National Taiwan University on July 2, 1981, after being detained by the Taiwan Garrison Command just one day after returning to Taiwan to visit his family.
The KMT government said at the time that Chen had committed suicide. However, an autopsy performed by a US forensics expert disputed this conclusion. The cause of Chen’s death remains unknown to this day.
Shih — one of the founding members of the DPP and the only one in the party to have been present in both the White terror and the Formosa Magazine incident — was an integral member of the party’s many struggles up until the first political party transition in 2000.
He had been imprisoned for 25 years during the White Terror era, which had at his release in 1977 almost outnumbered the number of days he had been free.
Yu had proposed the amendment last year during a session of the legislature’s Judiciary and Organic Laws and Statutes Committee and was adopted by the committee.
The National Archives declared the amended fee standards on material reprinting on Feb. 8, stating clearly that victims of the 228 Massacre or the White Terror era accused of Offenses Against the Internal Security of the State, Offenses Against the External Security of the State, or violation of the now-rescinded Act for the Punishment of Rebellion (懲治叛亂條例) and the now-rescinded Act for Litigation against Communist Spies During the Period of Mobilization for the Suppression of Communist Rebellion (戡亂時期檢肅匪諜條例), may enjoy a one-time free reprint of any single document pertaining to cases in which they were involved once proper proof is given.
The data will be made available either in hard copy, or a device on which the data is stored digitally, the archives said, adding that the applicant may only choose one of the two methods.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as