The Ministry of Justice on Friday invited an ex-convict to give a drumming performance to demonstrate the success of its “remedial justice” campaign.
The campaign was introduced by the ministry a few years ago to promote dialogue and reconciliation between criminals and their victims.
Eight years ago, the ex-convict, identified only as “A-gan” (阿甘), was sentenced to more than five years in prison for assaulting a man surnamed Chu (朱) during a dispute.
Photo: Hsing Cheng-chen, Taipei Times
A-gan was also ordered to pay damages of more than NT$3 million (US$100,000) in compensation for the serious injuries inflicted on Chu.
Upon hearing the verdict, A-gan shouted in court that he “should have hurt Chu more seriously.”
Today, because of the justice ministry’s campaign, Chu is a fan of A-gan’s drumming and said he has forgiven the man who inflicted so much pain on him.
According to ministry officials, A-gan, who is from a broken family, had been in prison for more than a year when he came to the attention of the renowned performing arts group U-Theatre during a percussion class at Changhua Prison.
After A-gan was released on parole, he got a job with U-Theatre and developed a passion for drumming.
With the help of the performing group, Changhua Prison and the Legal Aid Foundation, A-gan was able to establish contact with Chu and apologize to him, the officials said.
Chu was invited to speak at Friday’s press conference, but he declined, saying he did not want to distract from the intended focus of the event.
Chu instead issued a recorded statement.
“The injuries have made my life miserable,” he said, adding that he often cannot sleep even after 10 sleeping pills.
He said that during the litigation, he could not bring himself to forgive A-gan because his attacker showed no remorse or regret. Chu said he ignored the many letters A-gan sent him from prison.
Saying he had hated A-gan previously, Chu, who was burdened with huge medical expenses after he was injured and he often suffered epileptic seizures as result of his head trauma, later chose to forgive him and agreed to a settlement of NT$600,000 in damages.
He said the events between him and A-gan over the years led him to realize that “forgiveness is not just one-sided.”
Speaking about his ministry’s remedial justice program, Minister of Justice Tseng Yung-fu (曾勇夫) said that most convicts have difficulty finding a job once they are released and often return to crime when they have no money.
Currently there are about 65,000 inmates in Taiwan’s correctional institutions, who have to return to society someday, Tseng said. If the ministry can help them find jobs upon release, it will not only reduce the recidivist rate, but also improve the manpower problem in the market, he said.
Last year, an estimated 396 manufacturers took part in a job fair held specifically for ex-convicts, offering them 2,180 jobs, according the ministry.
Feng Kuo-ching, the owner of a restaurant and bakery in Hualien, said he was an example of the success of the ministry’s campaign.
He said he was sent to prison as a young man, but obtained loans from the Taiwan After-care Association to start his own business after he was released on parole.
Feng said he now employs more than 10 ex-convicts at his restaurant and bakery.
“I’m willing to give former inmates a chance,” he said.
However, he added that his was just a small business and that he hoped other enterprises would join the program to provide opportunities to former inmates.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated