The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday criticized President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) for his insistence on completing construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant in Gongliao District (貢寮), New Taipei City (新北市), saying that Ma has violated his pledge to seek a consensus on the issue.
“Ma has violated his pledge to seek a consensus with the opposition and has discredited Premier Jiang Yi-huah’s (江宜樺) plans to meet with opposition leaders to create a more friendly political climate less than 24 hours after Jiang’s extension of an olive branch [to opposition groups],” DPP Chairman Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lai Shyh-bao (賴士葆) was quoted as saying that Ma had reaffirmed his insistence on an additional budget allocation for the project and on the completion of construction at the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant, while leaving the question of whether the plant would become operational for deliberation in a meeting scheduled with KMT lawmakers on Wednesday night.
Su, who spoke to Jiang by telephone on Wednesday morning and praised the premier for his consensus-seeking efforts, said that Ma’s instructions “basically means that dialogue between the government and the opposition is unnecessary, and any expectations of a new approach and mentality by the new Cabinet are likely to be unmet.”
Ma’s instructions to the KMT caucus were “surprising and regrettable,” Su said.
The DPP called for the suspension of construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant and insisted that no additional budget should be allocated to the project, which has cost billions of New Taiwan dollars, with doubts raised over safety concerns caused by alleged poor-quality construction.
“We strongly oppose Ma’s policy and advise the president not to underestimate the determination of Taiwanese for a nuclear-free homeland. The DPP’s position is in line with mainstream public opinion, which opposes the construction [of the plant] and the additional budget allocation. This position will not change,” Su said.
The KMT caucus said that former DPP chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) supported the option of finishing construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant, but suspending the plant’s operations when she served as DPP chairperson.
Responding to the issue, Tsai said in Keelung that she did not understand why Ma has refused to listen to the public’s voice and has always demanded that KMT lawmakers carry out his instructions.
Early last week, Alex Huang (黃重諺), a spokesperson from Tsai’s office, admitted that Tsai had changed her views on the construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant since serving as vice premier between 2007 and 2008.
During this time she was forced to support the allocation of additional budget to the project due to pressure from the KMT, which had a legislative majority, and concerns over a potential breach of contract if construction was suspended.
The situation regarding the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant and public awareness of nuclear safety had also changed dramatically, the spokesperson added, since Tsai first made her position on the issue public in the DPP’s 10-year policy guidelines. These insisted on non-operation of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant and on phasing out the nation’s other three operational nuclear power plants, but did not state whether the party supported completing construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant.
When referencing a changing situation, Huang was referring to the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear accident in Japan and safety issues raised by former Fourth Nuclear Power Plant Safety Monitoring Committee member Lin Tsung-yao (林宗堯), who resigned his post in late 2011.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as