A spokesperson for former president Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) voluntary civilian medical team, Janice Chen (陳昭姿), said yesterday that she was prohibited from visiting the former president after an incident involving Next Magazine on Jan. 30, unless she signed a recognizance vowing to not disclose any information beyond what strictly pertains to his medical treatment.
The online version of Next Magazine, published on Jan. 30, featured 28 seconds of footage, provided by an anonymous reader, showing Chen Shui-bian’s right hand trembling, that his expression seemed vacant and that he had trouble talking.
The publication of the footage caused Taipei Veterans General Hospital, the current facility in charge of Chen’s medical treatment, to clash with Chen Shun-sheng (陳順勝), a member of Chen Shui-bian’s voluntary civilian medical team, with the hospital claiming that Chen Shun-sheng was not an expert in the field.
According to Janice Chen’s Facebook post, she wished to dispel rumors that she had been behind the magazine’s decision to publish the footage, claiming that the video had been taken by former Department of Health minister Twu Shiing-jer (涂醒哲) and had been taken by reporters from Twu’s Facebook site after he had uploaded the file.
According to a report in the Apple Daily on Jan. 31, Twu said he had made the footage as a concerned friend, adding that he had felt that the footage should be shown to doctors to look over.
Twu further said that he had asked for and received the approval of Chen Shui-bian and his family before the footage was released.
Janice Chen wrote that when she visited Chen Shui-bian with Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Chen Chie-ju (陳節如) on Tuesday, Chen Shui-bian said that he had almost fallen that morning, and that he did not hit the ground only because there had been a sofa on the side.
Janice Chen wrote that Chen Shui-bian had taken out forms listing his current and past medication, saying that the doses had become heavier and there were some side-effects that were starting to show, adding that Chen Shui-bian also said one of the medications prescribed in his current list was a drug to fight Parkinson’s disease.
According to Chen Chang-ming (陳昌明), the doctor in charge of Chen Shui-bian’s treatment, the hospital had already consulted multiple experts in the field of extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS), and it has already ruled out Parkinson’s disease, but Chen Shui-bian may be afflicted with Parkinsonian syndromes or Essential Tremor.
EPS is an umbrella term for multiple movement disorders, and Parkisonian syndromes refer to other etiologies leading to similar symptoms, as distinguished from Parikinson’s disease, the term used for neurological degeneration in the central nervous system without a known cause.
Essential tremor is also a neurological degenerative disorder that is progressive, and has been identified as a disorder caused in part due to genetics and also exposure to certain toxins.
“[Former] president Chen was highly commendatory of the voluntary medical team, saying that the numerous discoveries the team had made had all later been confirmed by the Taipei Veterans General Hospital,” Janice Chen wrote.
“I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder, frontotemporal lobe atrophy and gastroesophageal reflux disorder by doctors that worked with the voluntary civilian medic group. The same diagnoses were later made by the medical team at Taipei Veterans General Hospital,” Chen Shui-bian said.
Janice Chen added that despite knowing that many were concerned for former president Chen, she and others would not be able to divulge any more information on the subject in the following days and urged people who are concerned to remain patient.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as