Taipei prosecutors yesterday released on bail a girlfriend of British businessman Zain Dean, who fled Taiwan following his conviction in a fatal hit-and-run case, after detaining her on suspicion that she may have been involved in Dean’s escape, as foreign supporters of the fugitive came under fire.
Tung Yu-chi (董玉琪) was released on NT$50,000 bail yesterday afternoon and barred from leaving the country.
Dean was sentenced to four years in prison in July last year on charges of killing a newspaper delivery man in a drunk driving accident in March 2010.
Photo: Yao Chieh-hsiu, Taipei Times
The court said that after drinking with friends in the early hours of March 25, 2010, Dean decided to drive home in his black Mercedes-Benz. On the way, he allegedly hit a scooter from behind, striking its rider, Huang Chun-te (黃俊德), so hard that Huang’s neck was broken, leaving him paralyzed for several minutes before he died.
Dean, who denied he was at the wheel and maintained he was being driven by an employee of the KTV lounge where he had been entertaining customers, then allegedly fled the scene.
Members of Huang’s family and netizens have been criticizing Linda Gail Arrigo, a US human rights advocate and long-term resident of Taiwan, for making remarks in defense of Dean last week.
Arrigo, who last week represented Dean in issuing a statement critical of Taiwan’s judicial system, said the case showed discrimination among some Taiwanese, particularly toward people with darker skin.
In a statement last week, Dean, who is of Indian descent, set four conditions for his return to Taiwan, which he said would ensure a fair trial. Prosecutors have rejected the demands and said they would seek his extradition if Dean is in a country that has an extradition treaty with Taiwan.
Arrigo said there was no need for Dean to return to Taiwan to face justice, prompting a sharp rebuke from Huang’s family and supporters, who said she should leave Taiwan.
In response, Arrigo said she had the right to freedom of speech and that she had an Alien Permanent Resident Certificate.
Meanwhile, Jerome Keating, a Taipei-based writer who supported Dean at a press conference in June 2010 chaired by Dean’s lawyer in his first trial, Billy Chen (陳達成), told the Taipei Times yesterday that the case was suspicious and should be looked deeply into.
During that press conference, Keating — who himself had a brush with the judicial system and Taiwan’s media over allegations of sexual harassment in 2009 — said the expatriate community in Taiwan and abroad thought Dean’s case had been manipulated and turned into a social event, which was unfair to Dean’s trial and reputation.
“We know there was a death, we know it was caused by Dean’s car, we know the man’s family is deprived of income and should have recompense,” but the case is in question, he said yesterday.
“Video evidence of the accident, which was used to convict Dean was not presented in the trials, and there were two parking lot attendants of the nightclub, but investigators decided one did not drive Dean’s car home, and avoided looking into the other,” he said.
In a separate e-mail to a mailing group on Sunday, Keating offered “brief knowledge” of the case and wrote: “There are regular deaths by scooters; and then there is Zain’s case [,] which of course involves a foreigner.”
Investigations found that Dean fled Taiwan on Aug. 14 last year using a friend’s passport. The friend, a Caucasian identified only as David, is an English teacher in Taiwan and is also a British citizen.
In a statement last week, Chen, who once received a one-year suspension for practicing law without a license, said Dean was innocent and had no choice but to abscond.
Chen’s law firm was scheduled to hold a press conference today, but announced yesterday afternoon that it was canceled.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as