Sixteen people sustained non-life-threatening injuries yesterday in a tour bus accident on Alishan in Chiayi County, less than a day after a tour bus accident in Jianshi (尖石) Township, Hsinchu County, killed 13 people from New Taipei City (新北市) and injured 10 others.
The Chiayi County Fire Department said the accident on Alishan occurred at 9:57am near the 39.5km marker on the Alishan Highway (Highway No. 18).
A tour bus carrying 14 Malaysian and Singaporean tourists and Taiwanese tour guide Chen Mu-sung (陳木松) overturned after hitting the mountainside on the opposite side of the road.
Photo: CNA
All the tourists and Chen were injured and were quickly sent to nearby hospitals.
Bus Driver Wang Chi-chieh (王志傑) emerged unscathed from the accident and did not go to hospital.
Wang, 37, told TV news reporters that he slammed on the brakes as soon as he saw a car coming out from the side of the road only to discover that the brakes were not working.
After learning what happened at Hsinchu County on Sunday afternoon, Wang said he decided to slow down by first pulling the hand brake.
“I had to reduce the speed further by having the bus slightly hit something, otherwise the bus would fall into the valley,” Wang said.
The tourists came from three families.
They said that they remembered being told to hold onto something because the brakes were not working.
They also thanked local Taiwanese who stopped to help with rescue efforts and even to take some of the injured tourists to the hospitals.
According to the Tourism Bureau, the tour was arranged by Greater Kaohsiung-based Lu An Travel Services and was scheduled to end tomorrow.
Chen was a certified tour guide, and the tourists in the group were all insured, the bureau added.
Records from the Directorate-General of Highways (DGH) showed that the bus license plate was issued in September 2001.
The bus in the accident in Hsinchu County was also issued its license plate in the same year.
The records showed that both vehicles had just completed their required inspections in September and their next inspections had been scheduled for next month.
Meanwhile, a series of recent traffic accidents involving tour buses became the focus at the question and answer session of the legislature’s Transportation Committee meeting yesterday, when the lawmakers were scheduled to review the Tourism Development Fund (觀光發展基金).
A video clip of the bus accident in Hsinchu captured on the dashboard camera of a van showed that the bus had already driven past the curve on the highway. It should have continued moving forward, but it started to slide backward and fell into the valley.
Facing questions from lawmakers, Minister of Transportation and Communications Mao Chi-kuo (毛治國) promised to submit a report on the accident in Hsinchu within two weeks.
Mao added that there are only regulations on large or medium-sized bus’ access on the provincial highways, which are maintained by the DGH.
The accident in Hsinchu occurred on a county road, which was maintained by Hsinchu County Government.
However, Mao said that the ministry would assist local governments in conducting a comprehensive inspection of the roads through the mountains under their administrations.
DGH also said that it inspected the accident site in Hsinchu and found that it was not an uphill section of the road, adding that it needed to ascertain why the bus lost power and if the bus driver had taken the necessary procedures to stop the bus from moving backward.
The agency said that the bus was manufactured by Isuzu Motors.
Another bus of the same model slid backward and fell off a roadside slope in Taroko Gorge earlier this year, injuring 15 people aboard.
INSPECTION
The DGH said that it would ask Isuzu’s agents in Taiwan to recall vehicles of the same model for inspection.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as