Minister Without Portfolio James Hsueh (薛承泰) yesterday warned that the second-generation National Health Insurance (NHI) program could disintegrate by 2025 because of the doubling of the elderly demographic and called for policies to address the problems of an aging society.
The population of individuals aged 65 years and over in Taiwan tripled from 2000 to 2010, and the medical costs of the age group under the NHI program have increased 88 percent to NT$169 billion (US$5.3 billion) during that period, Hsueh said in a report on the nation’s population outlook in 2025 to the Chinese Nationalist Party’s (KMT) Central Standing Committee.
By 2025, the cost will be more than double that of 2010, bringing more financial difficulties for the NHI program, he said.
Photo: Chien Jung-fong, Taipei Times
“The NHI program is an example of a government policy that was designed without taking demographics into consideration ... Without proper solutions, the program could drag the government down by 2025,” he said.
The Department of Health proposed revisions to the NHI program last month under which the insured would have to pay a 2 percent premium on income of more than NT$2,000 earned from six sources: bonuses more than four times the individual’s monthly salary, professional practice, share dividends, interest, rent and moonlighting. The threshold was later revised to income of more than NT$5,000.
In response, President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) insisted that the program would not incur any debts in the next five years and promised to find solutions.
“It’s impossible for the second-generation NHI program to stay unchanged forever ... There are some difficulties in implementing the program, but we will find solutions and make the program better,” he said.
Hsueh yesterday also questioned the government’s policies on pensions and the increasing numbers of high schools and colleges under an aging population.
He said that more colleges would be shut down due to low attendance rates 10 years from now because of the lower birthrate, while the government will suffer from the lack of a long-term care system for the elderly.
Ma said people aged 65 and over would account for 20 percent of the total population in 2025, adding that the government had taken action to address the issue, including passing legislation on long-term care for the elderly and attracting foreign students to attend local universities.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as