A Chinese national with links to Taiwan has been charged in the US with trying to illegally buy vast quantities of a highly restricted material used in the manufacture of fighter planes. It is believed that the material — an aerospace-grade carbon fiber — is needed by Beijing in order to develop its fifth generation fighter known as the J-XX.
Zhang Ming Suan (張明算), 40, is being held in custody without bail, while a Taiwanese couple remain under investigation in Taipei.
According to court papers, the case began five months ago after the Taiwanese couple contacted a Web site which was purporting to sell aerospace technology. When they were told that an export license would be needed to buy the carbon fiber they had requested, the couple said they wanted to sidestep that process. The couple were unaware that the Web site was actually being run by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement and was part of an international “sting” operation.
Following the initial approach, telephone lines used by the couple were monitored. US agents refuse to say if the monitoring was conducted by Taiwanese authorities, but that appears to have been the case. As a result of the monitoring, agents learned that the couple was acting as a go-between for Zhang, who lived in Quanzhou, Fujian Province.
Zhang told a judge in Brooklyn Federal Court this week: “I am innocent.”
Sources close to the prosecution told the Taipei Times that few details were being released due to the “extreme sensitivity” of the case.
Carbon fiber can increase the strength and stealth capabilities of military aircraft, but details of its manufacture are kept strictly secret and Beijing is believed to have suffered a number of failures in its efforts to reproduce the product.
Prosecutors are refusing to reveal where and when Zhang was arrested, but one source indicated that it was last week in New York. He was lured to the US as part of the sting operation.
Zhang told the Taiwanese couple he wanted to buy carbon fiber without an export license for use in the manufacture of sports equipment.
In a call intercepted in July this year, Zhang said: “When I place the order, I place one for one or two tons.”
The carbon fiber involved sells for about US$2 million dollars a ton.
Court papers say that an undercover Homeland Security agent e-mailed Zhang inviting him to the US to discuss a deal and Zhang told the agent the carbon fiber was needed for the test flight of a fighter plane on Oct. 5.
Prosecutors said Zhang told Homeland Security agents he had an “urgent need for the carbon fiber in connection with the scheduled test flight of a Chinese fighter plane.”
Zhang is alleged to have told the agent that before buying a large quantity of the carbon fiber on offer he would need a sample to send back to China for testing. He was arrested when he arrived at a prearranged meeting place to pick up the sample.
Court-appointed lawyer Daniel Nobel said that Zhang was “an honest businessman who was caught up in something he didn’t really understand.”
Military experts have said that China is particularly anxious to obtain the sort of carbon fiber that would aid in the stealth design of its J-XX stealth fighter.
“It is very effective at making a plane totally invisible to radar,” Gary Hufbauer, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, said in an interview with the New York Post.
US Homeland Security Investigations Special Agent-in-Charge James Hayes said: “This technology in the wrong hands poses a serious threat to our national security.”
If found guilty, Zhang faces a maximum prison sentence of twenty years.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as