The Tourism Bureau said it plans to launch a competition in March next year for the nation’s top 10 tours to encourage more people to travel by public transport.
Chen Kuei-hua (陳貴華), director of the bureau’s domestic tourism division, said on Thursday a survey showed that about 56 percent of international tourists came to Taiwan last year as independent travelers. Most did not book tours pre-arranged by travel agencies, she said.
Chen said the number of domestic tourists choosing to drive to travel destinations had dropped from 65.2 percent in 2010 to 60.9 percent last year.
“We felt the time was ripe to encourage more people to travel by public transport,” she said.
Chen said the bureau has succeeded in raising the quality of public transport to tourist attractions around the nation by introducing the Taiwan Tourist Shuttle Service.
The number of passengers rose from 760,000 in 2010 to 1.2 million as of last month.
She said the competition for the tours was part of the bureau’s campaign to encourage more people to use the public transport system.
Chen said that the public transport system is not limited to trains and buses, adding that tourists can gain access to some scenic spots on a cart, which also counts as public transportation.
Based on the bureau’s plan, every county or city is entitled to recommend their fun tours.
The experts’ evaluation, which accounts for 80 percent of the score, would focus on several factors, including the choice of scenic spots, accessibility by public transportation, how friendly the tour is to travelers and the availability of accommodation and other facilities.
The remaining 20 percent of the score is to be determined by online votes from the public, she said.
“We hope that the competition might motivate local governments to make scenic spots within their administrative areas more travel-friendly, and that public bus operators might rethink their business models to try and combine public transportation and tourism,” Chen said.
Chen also hoped the competition could shape the nation’s image as a safe place for young and female travelers.
County governments interested in joining the competition can submit their recommended tours to the bureau. Voting and the evaluation will begin in March or April next year, and the results will be announced either in May or June, she said.
In related news, Minister of Transportation and Communications Mao Chi-kuo (毛治國) said the ministry is in talks with the National Immigration Agency about allowing travelers arriving in the country on cruise ships to apply for multiple-entry visas.
Mao said that Keelung Port has the potential of becoming an operational base for international cruise lines, and the ministry hopes that travelers could stop at at least two ports in the nation.
At present, travelers arriving by cruise ship must apply for a re-entry visa if they want to stop at a second seaport in the nation.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated