Visiting NBA star Jeremy Lin (林書豪) joined a four-day basketball summer camp in Taipei yesterday, during which he is to act as chief coach to teach children some skills and promote the sport.
“We’re gonna have a blast this week,” said Lin, the first NBA player of Taiwanese descent, at the opening of the camp. “The biggest thing we want to teach these kids is to have fun playing basketball.”
Aiming to make the camp educational and interesting, the 24-year-old point guard also invited his friend David Lee, power forward and center for the Golden State Warriors, to share his insights at the camp.
Photo: Chien Jung-fong, Taipei Times
“I’m very excited to have a chance to come over here to spread the love for basketball across the world over here in Taiwan,” the 29-year-old Lee said.
Lin’s shooting coach, Doc Scheppler, along with Lin’s older brother, Joshua, and strength coach, Josh Fan, will also be on hand to break down every move and action to help 60 elementary school students hone their skills. After the four-day event, Lin will hold a private charity event on Friday and attend a sponsor’s event the next day.
Lin will join an evangelical gathering hosted by a local TV station on Sunday before returning to the US the following day.
Event organizers said in a statement that these activities may be canceled out of safety concerns if the media tried to document Lin’s trip in “dangerous ways,” such as driving fast in pursuit of Lin, filming out of sunroofs or getting out of cars to snap photographs at red lights.
The NBA sensation paid a short visit to Taipei earlier this month, during which local media kept a close eye on every move Lin and his family made.
Lin, whose meteoric rise early this year with the New York Knicks attracted widespread attention, signed a three-year, US$25.1 million contract with the Houston Rockets last month, after the Knicks failed to match the offer.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and