“Taiwan doesn’t want to become a cesium recycling bin,” members from a dozen civic groups said yesterday in Taipei, asking the Department of Health (DOH) to explain why on June 27 it proposed amending safety regulations to permit higher levels of cesium-134 (Cs-134) and cesium-137 (Cs-137) in food.
The revision of the Standard of Safety Tolerance of Nuclear Fallout or Radioactivity Contamination for Food (食品中原子塵或放射能污染安全容許量標準) would reduce the maximum permissible limit of two particular radioactive isotopes — Cs-134 and Cs-137 — in dairy products and baby food from 370 becquerels per kilogram (Bq/kg) to 200Bq/kg, but increases the limit from 370Bq/kg to 600Bq/kg for other foods.
The department also said it would be fielding input from the public for a 60-day period that will end on Aug. 29.
Homemakers United Foundation president Chen Man-li (陳曼麗) said many civic groups had gathered to voice their concerns about the amended regulation because the DOH had only replied to their suggestions and concerns by stating the revision was made based on professional assessments.
“If the department continues to turn a cold shoulder to us on this issue and is not willing to communicate with people, then we civic groups must speak out to inform the public,” she said.
Wild at Heart Legal Defense Foundation attorney Tsai Ya-ying (蔡雅瀅) said the revised regulation would affect everyone in Taiwan, so there must be discussion, and the government should release research reports so everyone could understand the effects of exposure to the radioactive isotopes.
The DOH should consider the actual environment and eating habits in Taiwan, such as Taiwan’s reliance on many imported foodstuffs, low rates of breast feeding and the possibility of higher radioactive exposure in the environment due to Taipei being close to three nuclear power plants, she said.
“The DOH should hold public hearings or symposiums on the risk of exposure,” she said. “Since the government said it has examined samples of imported food, it should make public the actual radiation levels it detected and the names of the products, so consumers can make informed choices.”
Yukiko Komiya, a Japanese woman who got married in Taiwan and has lived here for more than 10 years, said many mothers in Japan asked for refunds for a brand of milk powder after its level of Cs-134 and Cs-137 reached 40Bq/kg, but now the revised limit for dairy products and baby food is 200Bq/kg, much higher than the limit of 50Bq/kg in Japan.
The maximum allowable limit of Cs-134 and Cs-137 in Japan for general foodstuffs was raised from 100Bq/kg to 500Bq/kg after the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant crisis last year, sparking controversy, and was lowered back to 100Bq/kg in April, Green Citizen Action Alliance secretary-general Tsuei Su-hsin (崔愫欣) said.
“Setting a safety limit does not mean food with radiation levels below it is harmless to the body … and cesium-137 has a half-life of about 30 years, meaning that radiation levels will only fall to half of their original levels after 30 years, so the radioactive isotopes may continue to harm the body for decades,” the Consumers’ Foundation’s Su Wei-shuo (蘇偉碩) said.
“The government’s risk assessment should be about honestly telling the people about the pros and cons, such as explaining the impact of eating or not eating food contaminated by radioactive isotopes,” Nuclear-Free Homeland Alliance executive director Lee Cho-han (李卓翰) said.
According to the Administrative Procedure Act (行政程序法), the promulgated draft can be altered if civic groups provide sufficient evidence to reject it, lawyer Tien Meng-chieh (田蒙潔) said, adding: “However, the government should make its information available first, or the civic sectors will have difficulties giving applicable suggestions.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as