Former Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday said the Chinese Nationalist Party’s (KMT) manipulation of the Yu Chang Biologics Co case has hurt Taiwan’s democratic development and added that the party’s collaboration with the media on the case during the presidential campaign was “vicious.”
The KMT government’s misconduct and the negative impact of the alleged case on Taiwan’s biotechnology industry were what really concerned her, Tsai said on the sidelines of a workshop on Taiwan’s economy organized by her foundation.
Tsai said her political team had thoroughly reviewed the Yu Chang case and were reassured that she had not been involved in illegal conduct, adding that “the important thing was not if I had been treated fairly, but that KMT manipulation damaged Taiwan’s democracy.”
Photo: Li Hsin-fang, Taipei Times
The Supreme Prosecutors’ Office Special Investigation Division (SID) on Tuesday closed its investigation into Yu Chang Biologics Co, now known as TaiMed Biologics Inc, clearing Tsai of any wrongdoing in the case which many believe helped President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) beat Tsai in the January presidential election.
Tsai said the leader of the nation had failed to do his job when he did not help the biotechonology industry develop, but instead damaged the sector with his campaign maneuverings.
While the KMT claimed it had never called the case a scandal, Tsai said the Taiwanese people had experienced the incident first-hand and understood how the party had distorted media coverage during the campaign.
Former Council of Economic Planning and Development minister Christina Liu (劉憶如) was quoted by the Chinese-language China Times yesterday as saying that she had been asked by Vice President Wu Den-yih (吳敦義), then-premier, to launch an administrative investigation into Tsai’s conduct.
In response to the newspaper report, Tsai said it was the “most vicious practice” for the state apparatus to inappropriately use government documents — including forged documents — to discredit specific candidates.
DPP Legislator Wu Yi-chen (吳宜臻) told a press conference that the Yu Chang case was a “dirty trick” Ma had used for political gain.
In response to the KMT’s statement, which said that while Tsai had been cleared of all illegal activities, she could not evade her “moral stain,” Wu said that Ma had also been cleared of all charges in a corruption case.
“I would like to know if Ma also has a ‘moral stain’ even though he was found not guilty,” Wu said, referring to the Supreme Court’s April 2008 ruling that said Ma was not guilty of misusing his special mayoral allowance during his eight-year tenure as Taipei mayor.
The DPP headquarters also offered support to Tsai yesterday, with party Chairman Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) saying after the weekly Central Standing Committee meeting that the party planned to seek justice for DPP politicians who had been persecuted by the judicial system in the past.
A working group would be established under the DPP’s Policy Research Committee to gather and analyze information of all the legal cases and prosecutions involving DPP members, including Tsai and former premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷), in an effort to “reverse the miscarriage of justice,” Su said.
Necessary measures will be taken after all the analytical work has been done, Su said, adding that the DPP does not rule out taking legal action against those responsible.
“The DPP urges Ma and those who were involved in the manipulation of the case to apologize to Taiwan’s biotechnology industry,” DPP spokesperson Lin Chun-hsien (林俊憲) said.
It has been the KMT’s strategy and an example of the party’s “old tricks” to resort to the abuse of state apparatus, forgery and almost anything in order to secure election victory, Lin said.
The KMT’s defamation of Tsai and Yu Chang Biologics Co, along with its past attacks on Hsuehshan Tunnel, the High Speed Rail and the Southern Taiwan Science Park — all completed under the DPP administration — also showed the KMT could only attack the DPP when it could not deliver the same performance, Lin said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as