Premier Sean Chen (陳冲) has approved a proposal to relax restrictions on the recruitment of foreign workers to bring in more immigrant laborers, a move rarely seen and one which a labor group has said would not only upset the could also lead to further exploitation of immigrants.
At a Cabinet-level meeting earlier this week, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and the Council of Labor Affairs (CLA) jointly proposed that enterprises be granted extra quotas for foreign workers by making higher payments to a government fund under the CLA.
Taiwan uses a five-tier system to regulate the permitted ratio of foreign workers in an enterprise’s total workforce in different sectors, ranging from 10 to 35 percent, with the highest, 35 percent, applied to four industries — electroplating, forging, dyeing-and-finishing, and casting in the manufacturing sector.
Under the proposal, an enterprise would see its maximum amount of foreign workers raised by 5 percent if it agrees to double the fee it is required to pay into the Employment Stabilization Fund (ESF) — currently NT$2,000 a month for each foreign worker it employs — by 10 percent if it pays three times as much, and so on, Executive Yuan spokesperson Hu Yu-wei (胡幼偉) said.
The proposed plan was cleared during a meeting presided over by Chen as part of policy discussions aimed at finding solutions to address the labor shortage problem, Hu said, adding that details have not yet been worked out.
Lin San-quei (林三貴), director-general of the council’s Bureau of Employment and Vocational Training, said yesterday that exceptions to the statutory maximum ratio “will not be made without an upper limit,” but he was unable to estimate how many more immigrant workers the policy will bring in.
Administered by the CLA, the emplpoyment fund system was set up to obligate employers who hire foreign workers to reduce wage costs to contribute funds to the government that deal with vocational training with unemployed local laborers.
The ESF system has been fraught with problems. There have been several cases of employers illegally deducting the levy from the salaries of their foreign workers.
Sun Yu-lien (孫友聯), secretary-general of the Taiwan Labor Front, said the Employment Stabilization Fund was like “a discretionary treasure of the CLA.”
“The ESF is the main source of the funding of the Bureau of Employment and Vocational Training. Why didn’t the government allocate a bigger budget to the CLA? If an employer can pay the fee into the fund for a migrant worker it employs, why can’t it give the workers more decent pay?” Sun said.
In spite of the nation’s minimum wage also applying to foreign workers, the difference between the salary of a local worker and that of an immigrant doing the same job is substantial, Sun added.
Sun expected the relaxation of the quota would push up the number of foreign workers employed in Taiwan to over 500,000, from the current record high of 440,000, because experience has proved that “imposing the employment stability fee did not decrease the incentive to employers to hire foreign workers.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as