Former US national security adviser Stephen Hadley said on Tuesday that “a lot of the heat” had gone out of what he called “the Taiwan issue.”
He credited President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) economic cooperation with China and expectations that “security and the political side” would now be discussed.
“I think the Chinese are pleased about that,” he said.
Hadley and former US Treasury secretary Henry Paulson — who had just returned from meetings in China with government and corporate leaders — were addressing the Atlantic Council in Washington on US-China relations.
During the question-and-answer session that followed their presentations, one member of the audience said: “In an hour of very strategic discussion by two world-class thinkers, Taiwan wasn’t mentioned once. That is interesting and encouraging. Some of us put up with the Taiwan homily every time we go to China. Did you put up with the Taiwan homily this time, and if not, why not?”
Paulson, who served under former US president George W. Bush, said that in his most recent talks in China, Taiwan had not been raised, but that generally, senior Chinese leaders did raise the Taiwan question with him and that he considered it to be “very important.”
“What I think has happened, is through very wise policymaking in the US — going through multiple administrations — we have been able to thread that needle,” Paulson said.
Taiwan’s continued existence was very important to the US, he said.
Hadley, who was also a member of the Bush administration, said that Taiwan was mentioned during his most recent talks in China.
He said the Taiwan issue had been managed in “a pretty constructive way.”
However, Hadley said China had brought up one “troubling” argument for the first time. One Chinese leader had said to him — with reference to Taiwan — that “deals were done when we were weak.”
The leader added that China was now strong and its interests should be given greater weight, and the modus vivendi that had been worked up on issues like Taiwan needed change.
“On the one hand you can see some merit for that argument,” Hadley said.
On the other hand, he said, if it was “a naked argument that we are stronger and therefore people should pay us homage,” it could be a destructive way of framing issues.
“I think that this new China is going to be hard to manage,” he said.
“The other thing that comes up all the time now — and it is bigger than Taiwan — is the South China Sea,” Hadley said.
He said the US narrative was that China was becoming more assertive, while the Chinese narrative was that countries like the Philippines and Vietnam were using the issue to provoke.
“These are two very different narratives and I think this is going to be a bigger issue to handle than Taiwan,” he said.
Paulson presented a paper at the meeting that the Atlantic Council said would serve as a memo to the winner of the US presidential election in November.
The paper outlined five “key principles” that Paulson said the US must adopt to improve economic ties with China and ensure global competitiveness. The principles are greater openness to Chinese investment in the US; more transparent markets with strong oversight; strengthened market confidence in both economies; a freeing up of bilateral trade; and a more efficient technology flow to promote innovation.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as