With the assistance of lawyers and civic groups, several residents from New Taipei City’s (新北市) Jinshan (金山) and Wanli (萬里) districts on Friday filed an administrative appeal with the Executive Yuan, asking it to rescind the Atomic Energy Council’s (AEC) authorization last month to reactivate the Guosheng Nuclear Power Plant’s No. 1 reactor.
Environmental Jurists Association secretary-general Echo Lin (林仁惠) said 25 people, including local residents and representatives of civic groups, who all live within 30km to 40km of the nuclear plant, collectively filed the administrative appeal asking the operation at the plant to be halted.
Tsai Ya-ying (蔡雅瀅), an attorney affiliated with Wild at Heart, said the first reactor at the plant in Wanli, New Taipei City, which was built in 1973 and began operating in 1981, has been running for more than thirty years, so it is not only very old, but there have been several incidents that raised safety concerns.
Photo: Tseng Hung-ju, Taipei Times
According to a report by the AEC in June last year, the emergency circulating cooling water system is located in the basement of the plant, below the possible maximum altitude of a tsunami, Tsai said, adding that cracks were found in anchor bolts and the core shroud during a routine maintenance check in March this year.
Tsai said there are procedural defects in the AEC’s decision to allow the reactor to restart, including not holding a public hearing on the issue as stipulated in the Administrative Procedure Act (行政程序法).
It also violated conflict of interest rules by having two members of the Institute of Nuclear Energy Research, which has contracts with Taiwan Power Co, on the committee in charge of evaluating the restart, she added.
“Japan’s Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear crisis was later found to be a preventable disaster with several crucial defects that already existed [before it was hit by a tsunami],” said Wu Huang-ching (吳磺慶), one of the volunteer lawyers. “If the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant had been stopped by legal procedure, maybe it wouldn’t have caused such a widespread disaster, so the administrative appeal is to prevent possible future disasters.”
The group expressed hope that the Executive Yuan would re-evaluate whether the plant should continue operating and whether there are defects that need to be fixed or that require it to be shut down.
“This issue is not just about us, it’s a matter that involves everyone in Taiwan,” Jinshan Anti-Nuclear Self-Help Association chairperson Hsu Fu-hsiung (許富雄) said.
Hsu added that the AEC has failed to fulfill its duty of monitoring nuclear safety and that a nuclear disaster could destroy the whole nation, so it is an unacceptable risk.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy