An online petition protesting against the government’s approval to reactivate the No. 1 reactor at the Guosheng Nuclear Power Plant in Wanli District (萬里), New Taipei City (新北市), has gained thousands of signatures in two days.
The petition, initiated by a civic environmental protection group, said that seven of the 120 anchor bolts used to attach the reactor to its concrete base were found broken or cracked during a routine safety check in March — which was confirmed by the Atomic Energy Council (AEC) as the world’s first case of fractured anchor bolts in a BWR-6 boiling-water reactor designed by General Electric Co (GE).
The petition said that although many people expressed concern over GE replacing only the damaged anchor bolts and the reactor’s operator, Taiwan Power Co (Taipower), not explaining whether the other anchor bolts could also crack, the AEC still approved Taipower’s reactivation request filed on Monday.
Green Citizens’ Action Alliance deputy secretary-general Hung Shen-han (洪申翰) said they began circulating the petition about two weeks ago, urging the government not to resume operations until the public’s concerns had been answered.
He said the number of signatories soared by about 7,000 people in the past two days, after the AEC’s sudden announcement on Monday of its approval for the restart.
The petition had 22,329 signatories as of 6pm yesterday.
“We feel angry and worried at the same time over the council’s sudden approval,” Hung said.
“The safety evaluation by the council was a black-box operation, using flawed regulations as a guise for legitimacy, to neglect the legislature’s request for an open hearing and to bypass public concerns,” he added.
Recently, many nuclear reactors in Japan have been blocked from reactivating because in addition to approval by the central government, local governments also have the right to decide whether they can operate, Hung said, “but in Taiwan, regulation is not open to public intervention.”
“We think the AEC should be charged with offenses against public safety for putting the public in danger of a possible nuclear accident,” Hung added.
The council said in a press release yesterday that its approval followed the enforcement rules for the reactivation of nuclear reactor facilities, and although maintenance took longer because of the damaged anchor bolts, its evaluation was made based strictly on safety criteria.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as