Former National Science Council deputy-minister Chen Cheng-hong (陳正宏) yesterday said the Atomic Energy Council (AEC) should evaluate the impact that a volcanic eruption would have on nuclear power plants in northern Taiwan.
Chen, a geologist, was invited to give a speech on volcanic activity in northern Taiwan at the AEC’s 57th anniversary event.
The potential scenarios of a nuclear power plant being affected by an earthquake or tsunami disaster have been discussed recently, given the meltdown of the reactors at Japan’s disaster-hit Fukushima Dai-ichi plant in March last year.
However, while tsunamis are clearly an important threat, volcanic activity and earthquakes are also closely related and thus should also be addressed, Chen said.
Considering the lava composition of the Datun Mountain range and referencing the 1991 eruption of Mt Pinatubo in the Philippines, if the volcano at Datun erupts, up to three meters of ashes could be generated, Chen said. Clark Air Base in the Philippines was paralyzed by the ashes from Mt Pinatubo, Chen added.
Considering the impact volcanic activity could have on the greater Taipei area, the Datun Mountains volcano group in northern Taiwan are of critical importance, Chen said.
Taiwan’s geographic location on the border of the Pacific and the Philippine Sea Plate renders it susceptible to seismic movement which causes frequent earthquakes and volcanic activity in the region, Chen said.
Historical accounts show that the last volcanic eruptions were between 100 and 200 years ago in the sea and on islands off Taiwan’s northeastern coast, he added.
Chen said that breakthroughs in geological dating methods have provided more precise information on the history of their activities.
It was previously believed that the latest eruption at this seismic hot-spot was about 17,000 years ago, but improved methods have now revealed that the latest eruption may have happened as recently as about 6,000 years ago, Chen said.
He added that it is therefore possible that even more modern dating methods could show that volcanic activity actually occurred more recently than that.
“So my opinion is that the AEC should evaluate whether the nuclear power plants can endure the possibility of being covered by two or three meters of volcano ashes,” he said.
“I only present my analysis based on scientific evidence, but evaluation of the effects on nuclear power plants remain for the AEC specialists to determine,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and