Questions emerged at the weekend as to whether Taiwan could afford both a multibillion-dollar upgrade program for its F-16A/B combat aircraft and new F-16C/Ds, amid claims that the price for the upgrade had been inflated since the deal was announced last year.
The air force received a Letter of Answer from the US last week on the US$5.3 billion upgrade package for its 145 F-16A/Bs and is now reviewing the prices of the items on the list, Air Force Command Headquarters said yesterday.
“We will sign an agreement on the deal only after we have completed an overall review and have determined that all the items meet our requirements or demands,” it said in a statement.
Photo: Yu Tai-lang, Taipei Times
About one week before the letter was received, Washington said it would give “serious consideration” to long-stalled efforts by Taipei to acquire 66 F-16C/Ds. A notification to the US Congress in September last year approved the upgrade package, but did not include the new aircraft.
The possibility that the US could agree to upgrade the F-16A/Bs and release the F-16C/Ds might now force the cash-strapped ministry to make a difficult choice. Since 2008, the US has agreed to about US$13 billion in arms sales to Taiwan, which has also embarked on a costly effort to adopt a fully professional military system by 2015.
In an article published on Saturday, Defense News said the US Air Force had been pressuring Taiwan to pay for nonrecurring engineering (NRE) costs related to the research, development, testing and integration of the Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, a key component of the upgrade package. The article said those costs were not included in the September notification.
An unnamed consultant for the ministry told the magazine that Taiwan was “getting a raw deal” from the US, because the additional money Taiwan would need to spend on NRE costs would “break the bank.”
The same day, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lin Yu-fang (林郁方) said the additional NRE costs could make the upgrades more expensive than acquiring new F-16C/Ds.
Preliminary negotiations have already been conducted and the Taiwanese air force is of the opinion that the US price is too high and the government’s finances will simply not stretch that far, Lin said.
The air force yesterday denied that the price for the upgrade package had been inflated, but declined to specify the amount of the deal.
A defense sources told the Taipei Times earlier this year that Taipei could avoid the NRE costs by waiting for South Korea to decide which type of AESA radar it would adopt as part of the upgrade program for its 135 KF-16C/Ds. Two firms, Raytheon Corp and Northrop Grumman Corp, are bidding for the AESA program and Seoul is expected to make its decision this month or next month.
The US Air Force, which is also scheduled to upgrade 350 of its F-16s, could save money by having other countries, such as Taiwan or South Korea, pay for the NRE costs.
In February, the Executive Yuan informed the air force that it would only allow US$3.7 billion for the upgrade program. While the military insists on acquiring the AESA radar, it could lower the cost by opting not to acquire some of the items included in the notification, such as certain types of Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAM) kits.
The letter received last week is said to have reflected the US$3.7 billion ceiling set by the Executive Yuan after Taiwan negotiated for the removal of items it did not seek to acquire.
Deputy Minister of National Defense Andrew Yang (楊念祖) told the legislature on Saturday that if the capabilities of the F-16C/Ds were no better than those of the F-16A/Bs following the upgrade, the military could consider not purchasing the new aircraft.
Clarifying Yang’s remarks, ministry spokesman Major General David Lo (羅紹和) said the air force was preparing to upgrade its -F-16A/Bs and that the capabilities of any future purchases made by the air force would have to surpass those of the F-16A/B.
Yang’s comments were based on practicality and were not a conditional requirement, Lo said.
Additional reporting by CNA
translation by Jake Chung, Staff Writer
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated