There is growing concern and anger in the US over the way that former Taiwanese president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) is reportedly being treated in prison.
Representative Edward Royce, a California Republican, has written to President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) appealing for Chen to be granted medical parole.
Earlier this week, Human Rights Action Center founder Jack Healy published an opinion piece in the Huffington Post, saying the Taiwanese government was “engaging in willful medical neglect” of Chen.
Shortly before that, -California Representative Dan Lungren asked the Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission to intervene on Chen’s behalf.
In his letter to Ma dated yesterday, Royce — a member of the US House of Representatives’ Foreign Affairs Committee and the Congressional Human Rights Caucus — cited “disturbing reports regarding the deterioration in the health and physical condition” of Chen.
He said that Chen is suffering from prostate cancer, acute coronary syndrome and significantly reduced blood flow to the heart.
Royce said that Chen is confined to a damp, undersized cell for nearly 24 hours a day under conditions that violate rules set for the treatment of prisoners by the UN.
“I therefore respectfully request that you grant former president Chen medical parole in order to receive adequate medical treatment and to ensure the protection of human rights and civil liberties for all,” he added.
Coen Blaauw, an official with the Washington-based Formosa Association for Public Affairs (FAPA), said: “There is a mounting chorus of indignation and anger in [US] Congress about the inhumane treatment of Chen. It is just terrible.”
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated