Former legislator Lo Fu-chu (羅福助), who was convicted of securities violations, has gone missing days before starting a four-year prison term, leading to airports and seaports being put on a state of alert.
The Coast Guard Administration’s 23rd Patrol Corps under the North Coast Patrol Office has compiled a total of eight different potential disguises Lo might use to slip out of the country. The corps has distributed the photographs to the security checkpoints for personnel to commit to memory.
The portfolio simulated eight different scenarios in which Lo either wore a beret, a wig, grew a beard, parted his hair down the middle, wore rimless glasses, sunglasses or was entirely bald.
Photo: Li Jung-ping, Taipei Times
The police said that they had exhausted all possible avenues in searching for Lo, but had so far failed to locate him.
Lo is supposed to start serving a four-year prison term on Tuesday for violations of the Securities and Exchange Act (證券交易法) and the Business Accounting Act (商業會計法). He is also required to pay a fine of NT$6 million (US$203,390).
The controversial former lawmaker has not been seen in public for 23 days, according to local media reports. Some reports speculated that Lo might have fled to China.
An official with the New Taipei City Police Bureau said all staff at the bureau’s Sindian (新店) branch have been mobilized to monitor Lo for quite some time.
“We have made all possible efforts, including visiting his home in Sindian every day or every other day, but we remain unaware of his whereabouts,” the official said.
According to the bureau, the Aviation Police Office, the Coast Guard Administration, the National Immigration Agency, and the Taipei City and New Taipei City (新北市) divisions of the Investigation Bureau under the Ministry of Justice have all been cooperating closely to prevent Lo from fleeing Taiwan.
Lee Chia-ming (李嘉明), acting spokesman for the Taipei Prosecutors’ Office, said prosecutors have not received any information about Lo sneaking out of the country.
“Both Lo’s family and his secretary have told us that Lo has not fled, but did not want to see anybody at the moment,” Lee said.
On Friday, while fielding questions from the press, Lo’s son, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lo Ming-tsai (羅明才), said he received a telephone call from his father a few days before, but he would not say if he knew where his father was.
Additional reporting by Lee Jung-ping
Translated by Jake Chung, Staff Writer
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as