Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) yesterday reiterated that the “one country, two areas” proposal was President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) inaccurate interpretation of Taiwan’s history and its decades-long democratic development.
“The proposal was a reaction against democracy and a sign of the re-emergence of authoritarianism,” Lee said in Donggang Township (東港), Pingtung County, on the first day of his three-day visit to southern Taiwan.
The controversial proposal, which was put forward by former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄) during his meeting with Chinese President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤) on March 22 in Beijing, inaccurately implied that Taiwan and China are two administrative areas of the same country, Lee said.
Photo: Lee Li-fa, Taipei Times
While Ma cited an amendment of the Republic of China (ROC) Constitution and the Act Governing Relations Between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area (臺灣地區與大陸地區人民關係條例) as the legal basis of his initiative, Lee said Ma got the history wrong.
Since the temporary provisions effective during the period of mobilization for the suppression of the Communist rebellion (動員戡亂時期臨時條款) ceased to function on May 1, 1991, Taiwan and China have been considered as “two political entities,” Lee said.
The Act Governing Relations Between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area was only a domestic law to deal with cross-strait exchanges, he added.
The 88-year-old Lee said it was “not right” that Wu, who served as secretary-general of the Presidential Office under him, spoke as he did and that Ma had been “pathetic” in irresponsibly submitting the proposal.
Lee spoke for 30 minutes on modern Taiwan history since 1895, saying it was crucial to understand history before making deliberations on cross-strait policies and “a large part of Taiwan history has been misinterpreted.”
He said he believed he was the best person to address the issue, because “there was no cross-strait policy before me” since former presidents Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石) and Chiang Ching-kuo (蔣經國) both refused to recognize the existence of the People’s Republic of China and initiate contacts.
On the issue of recent fuel and electricity price hikes, Lee said it was inappropriate for him to criticize the president on this issue.
However, Lee said he would have put in more thought and policy deliberation before making such decisions.
“It’s not a good thing if [Ma] thinks he can do whatever he wants since he won his second term. A leader should never cheat his people,” Lee said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as