A foreign national and single father to a Taiwanese son is facing deportation for allegedly working illegally for the government-linked Taiwan Foundation for Democracy (TFD) in a case that raises questions over how the government handled the case.
The problems for Ben Hlavaty, a US citizen, began when he and his Taiwanese spouse divorced in May 2008. Until then, Hlavaty had an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) through his marriage and did not need a work permit to work at the TFD, his employer since December 2007.
Aware that following his divorce his ARC would only be valid until Oct. 25 that year, Hlavaty informed his employer that if they wished him to continue working for them, TFD would have to help him apply for a work permit. The foundation subsequently contacted the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), which founded the TFD in 2002, and asked it to assist Hlavaty.
Photo: George Tsorng, Taipei Times
On Oct. 20 the same year, MOFA sent a notice to the National Immigration Agency (NIA) informing it that the foundation was extending Hlavaty’s employment for one year, until Oct. 24, 2009, and that a work permit should be issued. Six days later, Hlavaty left Taiwan for Hong Kong to reapply for an ARC and a new certificate was issued.
In October the following year, MOFA once again submitted the paperwork to the NIA so that Hlavaty could work for another year, or until Oct. 24, 2010, which again was approved.
However, on Oct. 21, 2010, the TFD informed Hlavaty it wished to terminate his employment and sent a notice to MOFA requesting the extension of his ARC until Dec. 31.
Hlavaty says that Huang Teh-fu (黃德福), appointed new president of the foundation by the administration of President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), fired him without cause and denied him his three-month severance pay. Hlavaty filed a petition with the Taipei City Department of Labor for wrongful dismissal.
Hlavaty and the TFD reached a settlement following mediation. Hlavaty left Taiwan on Dec. 19, 2010, and re-entered on a multiple-entry visa in January last year.
However, in May, the city’s Department of Labor sent him a notice stating he was suspected of violating Article 43 of the Employment Services Act (就業服務法) during his employment at the TFD.
“[They] demanded an explanation as to why I had been illegally working during my three-year employment with the Foundation,” Hlavaty said in a press release yesterday.
Then, in July last year, he was fined NT$30,000 for not having a permit through the proper channels.”
“On the advice of civil servants, I submitted an appeal, believing that the mistake would clear up,” he wrote.
“Then the CLA [Council of Labor Affairs] slapped me with a three-year work ban and ordered me to leave Taiwan within fourteen days,” he wrote.
After a petition with the council’s appeals committee failed, Hlavaty turned to the Executive Yuan, which turned him down on the grounds that his appeal to the council was written incorrectly. It ordered the deportation procedures to continue.
After weeks in limbo, Hlavaty’s appeal with the Taipei High Administrative Court was turned down on Thursday last week.
An official with the court told the Taipei Times yesterday that Hlavaty would soon receive the ruling document, adding that he could appeal to the Supreme Administrative Court.
Hlavaty maintains he did nothing wrong.
“[My defense] produced copies of my labor insurance from my foundation days, which must have meant that the Bureau of Labor Insurance, who [sic] is subordinate to the CLA, had found me legal during those three years,” he wrote.
“If I am going to be separated from my boy for my work in promoting Taiwan’s democracy and human rights at the request of MOFA, then I will go down fighting as an example to Isaac,” he wrote.
Hlavaty has dual custody of his son with his former wife.
Additional reporting by Rich Chang, with translation by Jake Chung, Staff Writer
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as