Lights in more than 100 buildings and landmarks will be turned off for an hour tomorrow in observance of “Earth Hour,” a global event that aims to raise awareness of the need to address the problem of climate change.
The event was first launched in Australia in 2007, when millions of residents in Sydney volunteered to switch off non-essential lights for an hour.
Since then, an increasing number of countries observe Earth Hour, which takes place on the last Saturday of March between 8:30pm and 9:30pm each year.
Taiwan started observing Earth Hour in 2010.
According to the Society of Wilderness, which helps organize the event in Taiwan, 2.2 billion people in 135 countries are scheduled to observe Earth Hour this year.
Society of Wilderness president Lai Jung-hsiao (賴榮孝) said the -society aimed to encourage more local residents and organizations to join the event tomorrow.
“We hope that we can have a million residents, a hundred corporations and a hundred buildings in Taiwan participate in the event,” Lai said.
“We have invited celebrities to lead the countdown to the event. On March 1, we had [Acer Inc founder] Stan Shih (施振榮). Tomorrow, it will be President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九),” Lai said.
“We hope to spread the message through social media sites and meet our goal this year,” Lai said.
Lai said more than 100 local organizations have signed up to participate.
Non-essential lights at several landmarks around the country, including the Presidential Office and Taipei 101 in Taipei, as well as the Liouhe Night Market and E-Da Theme Park in Greater Kao-hsiung, will turned off for an hour tomorrow.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not