As he was grilled by lawmakers yesterday over his handling and the US’ role in the beef import ban controversy, Premier Sean Chen (陳冲) said he had not reneged on his pledge to the Legislative Yuan regarding ractopamine.
The Executive Yuan’s announcement on Monday regarding the feed additive was to explain “the direction of a planned policy” rather than a predetermined policy, Chen told lawmakers.
Chen was referring to a statement released on Monday night that said the government was leaning toward the conditional lifting of a ban on the import of US beef containing residues of the leanness-enhancing drug ractopamine on the principles of “allowing a safe level of ractopamine in beef, separating the permits for importing beef and pork, clearly labeling beef imports and excluding imports of internal organs.”
Saying that the Executive Yuan would collaborate with the legislature on the necessary amendments, Chen said he had not betrayed a pledge made to the legislature on Feb. 24 in which he promised not to unilaterally lift the ban with an executive order before the end of the current legislative session.
Several lawmakers questioned Chen’s integrity and his ability to safeguard public health and called for the ban on US pork imports containing the additive to be maintained once the ban on US beef has been lifted.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Chen Ken-te (陳根德) said the administrative branch had turned a blind eye to the more than 80 percent of Taiwanese who were opposed to the lifting of the ban.
He added that the decision had been rushed and KMT lawmakers not properly consulted.
While Sean Chen denied that any “pressure and threats” had come from Washington, lawmakers said they were unimpressed by the US’ use of the Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) talks and the visa-waiver program as bait and that they were disappointed by Taipei’s weakness in bowing to US pressure.
KMT legislator Lai Shyh-bao (賴士葆) said he was uncomfortable with comments made by American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) Director William Stanton in an interview published on Thursday in which the diplomat said US beef had been a “stumbling block” to TIFA negotiations and that Washington had not bullied Taiwan on the issue.
“Making such comments at a time when Taiwan is trying to resolve the dispute doesn’t help,” Lai said.
The government should try to deal with the issue under the WTO framework instead of only talking to the US, DPP Legislator Yu Mei-nu (尤美女) and KMT Legislator Wu Yu-sheng (吳育昇) both said.
Lawmakers from across party lines had submitted 14 different ractopamine-related proposals to amend the Act Governing Food Sanitation (食品衛生管理法) as of yesterday, with almost all of them opposed to lifting the ban on the feed additive. The proposals are scheduled to be reviewed in the legislature on Wednesday.
In related news, an opinion poll conducted by the Taiwan Thinktank showed that 77.6 percent of respondents agreed that a zero-tolerance stance on ractopamine should be made law, DPP Legislator Lin Chia-lung (林佳龍) said.
The support for such a move is bipartisan, Lin added, with 78.8 percent of pan-blue supporters and 86 percent of pan-green supporters favoring such legislation.
The survey collected 1,102 samples between Wednesday and Thursday and had a margin of error of 3 percent.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as