President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday renewed his pledge to uncover the truth behind the 228 Massacre and promised to promote human rights as a universal value that is emphasized by the historical tragedy.
Ma, delivering a speech in Hoklo (also known as Taiwanese) at a ceremony in front of the 228 Monument at the 228 Peace Memorial Park in Taipei, apologized to victims and their families for the then-Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) regime’s bloody crackdown on civilians, and said he expected continued efforts to uncover the truth to transform the tragedy into an asset for later generations.
“The history was once gloomy with fears casting shadows above us, but democracy will illuminate the dust-laden files and the truth will be uncovered and written one day,” he said before bowing to the crowd.
He attributed the massacre to civilians’ uprising against a corrupt government and promised to build a clean government that promotes freedom, human rights and democracy.
Families of the massacre victims who attended the memorial called for more emphasis on human rights from the government and said their pain would not be eased unless the truth is uncovered and the importance of human rights is stressed.
“The economy can have ups and downs, but not human rights. There should be no limits on the development of human rights,” said Pan Ying-ren (潘英仁), whose father was shot dead during the massacre.
Ma said the government has evaluated more than 8 million pages of related files and documents as part of efforts to uncover the truth of the 228 Incident and ensuing massacre, and that the work of seeking delayed justice for all political victims would continue.
He then returned personal letters and documents from four massacre victims to their family members at the end of the ceremony.
Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌), son of former premier Hau Pei-tsun (郝柏村), was the focus of the ceremony in light of recent protests against his father’s comments about the death toll from the massacre.
In an opinion piece in the Chinese-language United Daily News on Tuesday last week, Hau Pei-tsun challenged the content of a history textbook that stated that more than 10,000 people were killed during the massacre and said that only a little more than 500 people were killed in the crackdown.
His piece drew a strong reaction from victims’ families, who criticized the former premier for what they said was distorting the truth.
When asked yesterday by the press for comments on his father’s claims, Hau Lung-bin called for recognition of the historical tragedy and continuous promotion of human rights and democracy.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as