Civic groups and victims’ families will take to the street today to commemorate the 65th anniversary of the 228 Incident, with the focus on former premier Hau Pei-tsun (郝柏村) and President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), whose recent controversial remarks on the 228 Massacre have sparked heavy criticism.
Dozens of civic groups will join the victims’ families in the march under the theme of “self-salvation to protect Taiwan,” which will take them from Yongle Market (永樂市場) to the end point of Dadaocheng wharf (大稻埕碼頭), where they will release water lanterns to pay tribute to those who perished in the massacre that began in 1947.
In a violent suppression of anti-government uprisings that began on Feb. 28, 1947 — 16 months after the end of Japanese colonial rule — Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) troops killed between 18,000 and 30,000 people, the majority of them Taiwanese and including many leaders and intellectuals.
Photo: Yu Hsueh-lan, Taipei Times
The march, which is scheduled to begin at 2:28pm, will pass the former location of the Tianma Tea House (天馬茶房) on Nanjing W Road, where a government investigator shot a citizen to death, resulting in the uprising 65 years ago, before arriving at the wharf for a ceremony, said Taipei City 228 Justice Care Association president Chen Yi-shen (陳儀深), one of the organizers.
However, much attention in the march will be focused on Hau and Ma’s controversial comments.
Hau first sparked controversy with an op-ed piece in the Chinese--language United Daily News on Feb. 21 in which he said that no more than 1,000 people were killed in the massacre, a far cry from government-supported research that concluded more than 18,000 had been killed.
Ma dismissed Hau’s comments on Friday, but stirred up more criticism after he said “the focus of the [228] Incident is not on the number of people that were killed.”
Chen, Taiwan 228 Care Association chairman Chang Yen-hsien (張炎憲) and other civic group leaders are scheduled to respond to Hau and Ma’s comments.
Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU) Chairman Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) is also scheduled to memorialize the dead and highlight Taiwan’s democratic movement in a speech.
Democratic Progressive Party Chairperson (DPP) Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) will not attend the event.
The march will start a series of nationwide commemorative events, including a ceremony at Keelung Harbor on March 8, because the KMT troops landed in Keelung on March 8, 1947, and a second march on March 25 in Chiayi City, where people were publicly executed in front of the Chiayi Rail Station by KMT troops.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as