A new report from the US Congressional Research Service shows that despite a sale of F-16C/D aircraft being turned down this year, Taiwan remains one of the US’ four major arms buyers.
Last year — the most recent year for which figures are -available — Taiwan accepted delivery of US$660 million in arms from the US.
Only Saudi Arabia, with US$1.2 billion, Egypt, with US$830 million, and Pakistan, with US$690 million, bought more US arms during that year.
Taiwan was also fourth in terms of worldwide US arms -deliveries for the total period of 2007 through last year, when it received US$3 billion in arms, and for the period of 2003 through 2006, when it received US$4.1 billion.
Last year, Taiwan was also the leading purchaser of “US defense articles and services” in the world having concluded deals (but not -deliveries) valued at US$2.7 billion.
According to the new figures, for the period 2007 through last year, Taiwan concluded agreements to buy US$6.6 billion in arms, compared with Saudi Arabia at US$13.8 billion, the United Arab Emirates at US$10.4 billion and Egypt at US$7.8 billion.
Taiwan has been consistently at or near the top of the list of US arms customers in Asia for the past seven years.
It accepted delivery of US$4.1 billion in arms from 2003 to 2006 — more than twice as much as most other US allies in the region.
During that same period, South Korea received US$2.4 billion of US weapons, Japan US$2 billion, Australia US$1.3 billion and Singapore US$1.1 billion.
For the period 2007 through last year, Taiwan again topped the list with deliveries of US$3 billion, compared with Japan’s US$2.9 billion, Australia’s US$2.7 billion, South Korea’s US$2.7 billion and Pakistan’s US$1.4 billion.
Region-wide last year, Taiwan’s acceptance of US$660 million worth of arms from the US placed it second only to Pakistan, which had arms deliveries of US$690 million.
Other top Asian buyers for last year were South Korea, which received US$640 million of arms; Australia, at US$590 million; and Japan, at US$490 million.
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated